NetEase acquired Quantic Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022

To continue to evolve and dream big, as we embark on “our next 25 years”, we are delighted to announce that we will be joining NeEase Games, which is becoming a 100% shareholder of Quantic Dream. We will retain our independence in terms of our editorial line, the artistic direction of our projects and the management of the studio. Our teams, who are fully involved in this operation and who benefit directly financially, are of course fully preserved and will continue to grow and strengthen.

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

• brain
Reactions: Yossarian

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’d care if I thought QD didn’t suck…. Let the CCP buy them.

Reactions: Hezekiah

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
David Cage seems a bit out there (even before the crunch/harassment stuff), but the games were good.

Another missed opportunity for Sony. Jim will go down as a President who rested on PS4 successes, and let the PS identity erode to nothing.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Airbus

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
David Cage seems a bit out there (even before the crunch/harassment stuff), but the games were good.

Another missed opportunity for Sony. Jim will go down as a President who rested on PS4 successes, and let the PS identity erode to nothing.
I actually disagree partially. They wouldn't be a good fit, Cage seems to have a problem working with tons of people and it could lead to problems down the line.

OP
OP
alphachino

alphachino

24 Aug 2022

I love Indigo Prophecy + Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls was extremely boring. Detroit: Become Human gave me the biggest case of buyer's remorse I've ever experienced in my whole life and fundamentally changed how I and when I acquire and play games.

I'm glad they're gone. They became a liability for the PlayStation brand in my eyes.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I actually disagree partially. They wouldn't be a good fit, Cage seems to have a problem working with tons of people and it could lead to problems down the line.

Screw David Cage, to some extent. There's still a good team of workers and gameplay engine, and IP ownership to be gained for a type of gameplay so closely associated with your console. The stereotype is the otherside dont like story based walking simulator one dip games? Fine, coner that market and enhance what those studios can offer your audience. Financial, stability, technological advancements, restructure of dev evironment if crunch/harrassment is industry Chinese whispers at the time. All you're really doing is safeguarding what already works for you..

But instead we now have 3rd party also-ran attempts that play at being those style of game, looking-back at the critical reception they had better with closer PS investment/marketing/brand association of the time (Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, RAD's PS output, TellTale's existence.)

Reactions: Darth Vader

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What a shame. Playstation had a good exclusive relationship with them. Detroit and Heavy Rain was good. Beyond 2 souls was decent. Sony should of acquired them and Supermassive.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yossarian

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Sony should have had the market for story/choice-based games absolutely sewn up since early PS4 era flanked by a firing squad of RAD, QD, TellTale, SuperMassive and SE's portion into DontNod/DeckNine, strengthening Sony/SE. Lord knows something fell off after that first Life Is Strange game and it is it's series' "Until Dawn" that they're reaching backwards for.

Releasing games from an IP across PS4, PS Vita, PSVR, experimenting with timed chapter releases, figuring out staged-timed drops onto PS+/NOW and setting that precedent rather than endless fud about answering gamepass, experimenting with choping them up and putting the back catalouge on Netflix like Black Mirror Bandersnatch (go play the latest games on PS right now!), reusing the game IP for TV/film media and buddy-up to Netflix more (finished season 1? Go play the latest game on PS right now!).

Its like they're missing 3/4 opportunities to begin with, and then offer the most limp dicked excuses. "oh we have a working relationship with Ballistic Moon, they have a few SuperMassive alumni". My guy, you should have already had SM with a ring on it like 10 years ago, and plenty of others that let slip through fingers.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Holy shit. That's not great. Their games aren't necessarily my thing but they were a decent part of Sony's repertoire

Status
Not open for further replies.