New phone who dis

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Looking into new phone. Kinda want to ditch samsung as I hate all their intrusive bloatware (bixby key fuck off)

Currently looking at the Oneplus 12, seems like the best option for a snapdragon 8 gen 3 with no AI bullshit.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Looking into new phone. Kinda want to ditch samsung as I hate all their intrusive bloatware (bixby key fuck off)

Currently looking at the Oneplus 12, seems like the best option for a snapdragon 8 gen 3 with no AI bullshit.
From the other thread, I am incredibly happy with the S24 Ultra.

Another suggestion would be the Pixel 8 Pro, for example, but battery life in Pixel phones is not the best.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
From the other thread, I am incredibly happy with the S24 Ultra.

Another suggestion would be the Pixel 8 Pro, for example, but battery life in Pixel phones is not the best.
Pixel 8 pro battery life makes it a non starter. I really want the snapdragon 8 gen 3 due to efficiency. I'm pretty ambivalent about how long phones get updates for, in 5 years I'll probably be looking to upgrade phones again.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Pixel 8 pro battery life makes it a non starter. I really want the snapdragon 8 gen 3 due to efficiency. I'm pretty ambivalent about how long phones get updates for, in 5 years I'll probably be looking to upgrade phones again.
Gotcha

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Epilogue:

Ordered the OnePlus last week and received it today. Initial reaction is pretty positive. 5 hours of heavy use brought the battery down to 60% from a full charge, and charging from 0% to full took a little under an hour. The OS takes a little getting used to but overall it feels good. Snapdragon 8 gen3 is a wonder, everything is snappy and fast. One slight negative is that the flashlight is kinda dim, on the low end of being acceptable. The Samsung flash was a proper torch.

I like how the functionality to unlock the bootloader from the settings is exposed by default, although I see reports that it's getting less tenable to root your phone as banking apps won't work with unlocked bootloaders and it's an arduous process to get them to work.