Niko Partners predict over 10 million sales for the PS5 pro

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
PS5-Pro.png

PS5 Pro to Sell Over 10 Million Units

With no comparable mid-generation upgrade from Microsoft, and Nintendo’s upcoming console expected to be less powerful than the base PS5, Sony is positioning the PS5 Pro as a premium offering for console gamers seeking superior graphics performance. Although the $699 price point will make PS5 Pro the most expensive console on the market, it is still priced lower than a comparable gaming PC. This is essentially a luxury offering for gamers who already have a console game library and value living room experience, convenience, and guaranteed performance.
We believe the main audience for the PS5 Pro are early adopters of the PS5 and price insensitive gamers on other current or last generation consoles looking for higher fidelity experiences. We also expect to see increased geographic expansion compared to the PS4 Pro as Asia and the Middle East, which have become notable markets for PlayStation, see a rising middle class willing to invest in high-end entertainment. In our recent blog post on the success of Black Myth: Wukong in China, we noted that PS5 sales had increased significantly due to the popularity of the game.
The base PS5 models will continue to be the main entry point into current gen gaming, and we continue to see the PS5 Digital Edition increase its market share due to its lower price and increasing acceptance of digital only gaming. A price drop for the base models, combined with major releases like Grand Theft Auto 6, would be far more impactful in expanding the PS5’s installed base.
However, we do not expect to see a price drop on PlayStation hardware this year or in the first half of 2025. We estimate the PS5 Pro will account for roughly 10% of lifetime PS5 sales, pushing it over 10 million units.

Source

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
10million lifetime would be huge for them.

I wonder how much money MS put into this for it to fail..

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
This seems confident
I really truly don't believe there's a market for digital only consoles at this price, but I also thought that about the PS Portal and people bought that, so maybe I'm just out of touch with the typical Playstation gamer.
I'll be sticking with my base PS5 whose disc drive brings me joy
yes i know i can buy a disc drive separate but I am not made of money

• Heart
Reactions: KvallyX

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I hope Sony sells a lot more than PS5 Pros. 10, 20, 30 million the more the better.

But they're awfully wrong if they think they're reaching anywhere near 10 million with their current pricing strategy outside the US.

Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
That'd be about 4 million less than the PS4 Pro, and it's also probably an optimistic read taking into account SIE don't erode on appeal of their console further through accelerating porting windows of big non-GAAS titles to platforms like PC. And, it's 50/50 at this point if they will do so or not (I think chances of them reversing on the strategy at this point are under 10%).

"Over" 10 million in this case would probably also mean barely beyond it, so...

13.92 million * $400 = $5.568 billion PS4 Pro revenue​
10 million * 700 = $7 billion PS5 pro revenue​

...assuming no price cuts. So, SIE are indeed trying to maximize revenue & profit margins even at the expense of total install base growth, probably hoping PS5 Pro customers will sub to higher PS+ tiers, and spend or keep spending more on annual software than non-PS5 Pro owners.

We'll see how that gambit plays out for them, I guess.

Reactions: arvfab