Nintendo DMCAs Link's Awakening DX HD for PC.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
A new user on Itch.io called Linksawakeningdxhd uploaded a PC port of Link's Awakening two weeks ago and Nintendo just took it down

Takedown notice for Link's Awakening DX HD

The PC version is absolutely sublime and allows for a larger playfield and it's possible to zoom out and play with the entire island visible on screen. There's support for high refresh rates and it works perfectly on my 240hz display. Also various QoL changes and subtle lighting effects to enhance the look. The file came with the source code and should be easily moddable.

For a deeper look into the game and its features, check out this random Youtuber showing the game to the first dungeon.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
If you want LA, its on Switch.

day talk GIF

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I can’t blame Nintendo for legal protectionism, at least from my understanding of it. I’m not a lawyer who knows what entails too much, and what would be too little. I just understand they need to protect their intellectual property.

But it suuuuuuuucks that it always manifests like this, with genuinely cool, beneficial to Nintendo fans and gamers stuff like this taken offline.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Based Nintendo

Imagine getting pennies from somebody property and yelling to sky "Soooo unfair".

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
if they're not making money off this then I don't see the issue. It's not like Nintendo would ever do anything like this anyway

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I can’t blame Nintendo for legal protectionism, at least from my understanding of it. I’m not a lawyer who knows what entails too much, and what would be too little. I just understand they need to protect their intellectual property.

But it suuuuuuuucks that it always manifests like this, with genuinely cool, beneficial to Nintendo fans and gamers stuff like this taken offline.
It doesn’t benefit Nintendo.

But no corporation is going to let whoever wants to make a game with their IP just go and do it without permission. Look at the amazing Aliens mod for Quake that Fox had taken down and has spent years ensuring it is as hard to find as possible.

If a Zelda fan wants to make a game, why are they never smart enough to make new characters and an actual new game? They could actually monetize it, if it was good.

Reactions: Arc