Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_18-1024x576.jpg

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag.

The company announced last month that the upcoming game costs $69.99, marking the first time it has charged more than $59.99 for a standard edition of a digital Switch title.

In a recent interview, Nintendo’s US boss was asked how the platform holder reached its decision to price Tears of the Kingdom at $70:

We look at what the game has to offer,” Bowser told Associated Press.

“I think fans will find this is an incredibly full, deeply immersive experience. The price point reflects the type of experience that fans can expect when it comes to playing this particular game.”

After the game’s price was announced, a Nintendo spokesperson suggested $70 won’t necessarily be the new norm for first-party Switch software, stating that the company determines the suggested retail price of its products “on a case-by-case basis”.

This isn’t a price point that we’ll necessarily have on all our titles. It’s actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself.”

Last edited:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Translation: We like money just as much as everyone else, Also everyone else is doing it now so why not?

The prices of games have never bothered me.
More and more people are paying for deluxe or collectors editions so it wont really effect most people and those that it will just save/wait and end up getting it a bit later.

Reactions: AniWeeb

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Launching it along with a Switch Successor would justify the price easily. All in all, fake outrage of prices only exists in gaming forums and only by a subset of people. Most don't care about it and will pay the price asked regardless.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Anybody saying a new Zelda is not worth of $70 is just flat out trolling.

If the game is good what the problem? I should pay $100 for a wonderful great experience than $10 for some trash small game.
You can like Zelda or not but Nintendo is know to delivery great experience with Zelda games.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Zelda games are an event and I'm sure the game will be cross-gen with the next Switch.

I actually used the Nintendo coupon so for me it was even cheaper than $60. I'm surprised Zelda was eligible for that promo tbh.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Translation: Another empty, boring open world with lack luster graphics and a cute art style to cover it up and no voice acting lol that isn't much different from the first game. The first game for me was a hot $35 tops. I guess I'll never play this one because I'm not paying $70 for it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Anybody saying a new Zelda is not worth of $70 is just flat out trolling.

If the game is good what the problem? I should pay $100 for a wonderful great experience than $10 for some trash small game.
You can like Zelda or not but Nintendo is know to delivery great experience with Zelda games.
It was not a great experience for me, I literally forced myself to finish it. Very subjective in terms of taste but in terms of tech involved and its evolution, Nahhh not worth it to me. That's just my take. I'm mad I spent $60 on the first game and would not do it again.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
We look at what the game has to offer

I look at what it doesn't offer - a game that doesn't push any technological barriers, and quite the opposite is based on technology from over a decade ago and such will restricted in terms of its systems. And won't even go on sale for a long time.

Rip-off.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I look at what it doesn't offer - a game that doesn't push any technological barriers, and quite the opposite is based on technology from over a decade ago and such will restricted in terms of its systems. And won't even go on sale for a long time.

Rip-off.
And it will be treated like the second coming by Nintendolts everywhere, even though it does nothing new, just like the first one was.

• fire
Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
And it will be treated like the second coming by Nintendolts everywhere, even though it does nothing new, just like the first one was.
Now I don't like him (her?), but I remember Jim Sterling getting dogs abuse because he gave the first game 7/10 😄

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That fat, revolting mass deserves all the abuse he could EVER get.
It wasn't just that his score was too low, its that his reasons were shit. Dumb retard didn't get that you stop climbing when it starts raining and either do something else for five minutes or use alternate means to get to the high place you wanted to go. And IIRC he also hated the weapon durability which is a dead giveaway that he didn't know what he was doing and just wanted to get through the game and move on to the next one. This is the same man who gave a full review to Halo Wars that he had to retract when his stats got published and showed that he only spent an hour on it in-game.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters