Nintendo Plans 'Smooth Transition' from Switch to Next Console by Using Players' Nintendo Accounts

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, it's time for them to finally add proper full BC allowing users to use user accounts from Switch (and if possible previous platforms) to access the digital games and savedata they had in previous platforms.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well, it's time for them to finally add proper full BC allowing users to use user accounts from Switch (and if possible previous platforms) to access the digital games and savedata they had in previous platforms.
Maybe they actually will....

After-all, last year they teamed up with, uhh.... DENA?.... to create a new join venture specifically tasked with creating a new Nintendo accounts system. The current one is garbage of course, so this was needed anyways, but when making it they could support things like digital libraries. It would also give people an incentive to actually buy digital over physical. Nintendo also, seemingly, has plans to "support" the Switch for years. So expect it to have a 3DS-like long and painful death.

edit: No, it was Docomo, right? Either way it was one of the JP mobile industry players.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Maybe they actually will....

After-all, last year they teamed up with, uhh.... DENA?.... to create a new join venture specifically tasked with creating a new Nintendo accounts system. The current one is garbage of course, so this was needed anyways, but when making it they could support things like digital libraries. It would also give people an incentive to actually buy digital over physical. Nintendo also, seemingly, has plans to "support" the Switch for years. So expect it to have a 3DS-like long and painful death.
Ideally what I'd do is to allow users to link in Switch 2 their Nintendo user accounts they had from Switch, mobile, 3DS, DSiWare, WiiWare, virtual consoles and whatever else they had.

I'd use it to allow you to download and play in Switch 2 all the games you had in these previous platforms, and also having some system to import your savedata from them to Switch 2 using that.

But it's Nintendo, so very likely they'll charge you again for the 23040th time for the same NES games. I understand it's difficult/expensive to do it with physical games, but I think all 3 platform holders should start to take more seriously the back catalog from old platforms for the long term, at least the digital one.

I think players would prefer to have access in the newest console to the games they bought in all the previous ones from that brand, not only the previous one, and that it can be a good selling point asset for companies while also help them enlarge their catalog to make their platform more appealing and unique.

And well, it would also help game preservation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I always say I'm not going to get another Nintendo console because I rarely play on them but then I do! So this will be good and what should have always been. Their dumb ass friends codes were also so draconian.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Ideally what I'd do is to allow users to link in Switch 2 their Nintendo user accounts they had from Switch, mobile, 3DS, DSiWare, WiiWare and whatever else they had allowing you to download and play all the games you bought them on Switch 2, and also having some system to import your savedata from there.
For Switch, sure, assuming they use a similar form factor. For mobile, maybe, depending on touch screen capabilities. Problem with the rest of that is the Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS titles would all need major control tweeks -often on a game by game basis- and might end up either unplayable or bad feeling. So yeah, I think it will just be Switch and Switch 2 with access to your mobile account data and if you're lucky some form of Pokemon Bank integration.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Nintendo's working with nvidia for the switch successor, i reckon nvidia might share some dlss secret sauce with nintendo, cause right now fsr is good but nowhere near dlss.