Nintendo Pressured GameStop to Fire Employee Who Leaked Word of Zelda Switch

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So when Massachusetts GameStop employee Mike (last name kept anonymous) saw a "HW TBD Switch" entry pop up on his store's system hours before the Direct's broadcast, it didn't seem too surprising. Mike snapped a picture of the screen and uploaded it to reddit.

As Kotaku reports, the reddit post was quickly traced back to Mike using his account name and publicly identifiable details about his identity. Within a week, Mike had met with his manager and been suspended. Within two weeks, he was fired.

To be fair I agree with Nintendo here.
I sign a lot of documents and do a lot trainers every year to not expose data from the Company, Customers or Partners on social networks.
But even without that it is common sense it is not a good thing to do in whatever you work.

So he is just receiving the backslash for breaking his job ethics.
I'm sure Nintendo could even sue him and makes the things even harder.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

To be fair I agree with Nintendo here.
I sign a lot of documents and do a lot trainers every year to not expose data from the Company, Customers or Partners on social networks.
But even without that it is common sense it is not a good thing to do in whatever you work.

So he is just receiving the backslash for breaking his job ethics.
I'm sure Nintendo could even sue him and makes the things even harder.
Getting fired for a picture two hours before the event wass going to be shown.

I mean if people are leaking full details of a game, spoiling plots and endgame stories then fair enough, but losing your job over this, seems harsh to me.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I mean if people are leaking full details of a game, spoiling plots and endgame stories then fair enough, but losing your job over this, seems harsh to me.
I think more about the attitude and behavior of the employee.
He probably was already doing that before and he will continue doing it.

I as worker won't thrust anymore in that employee after that.
And I say that as a worker.

Company, Customer and Partner data are sensibles... I should never leak them even if I have privilegied access due my job.
I work with several loyalty programs in Brazil and have access to millions of people personal data (including some financials)... do you don't think it is fair to my company to fire me if I ever leak any data from any loyalty member?

Data security is serious... really serious.... if you had for whatever reason access to data before others never leak or use it in your beneficies... even more for 15 minutues of fame on Reddit.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

His job was to not leak this type of stuff.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
No sympy here. I signed an NDA for my job and follow it, its not that hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Arrested Development Mistake GIF