Nintendo’s president says it will continue to support Switch next year

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
switch-console-grey-1024x599.jpg

Nintendo‘s president says the Switch will continue to see new software in the next fiscal year.

In a new interview with Nikkei, Shuntaro Furukawa was asked if the lifecycle of the Switch could be expanded further than the six and a half years it’s already been on sale.

“We are still working on software for the Switch for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2025,”

Furukawa said.

“In the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024, we hope to sustain the momentum of Zelda and the [Super Mario Bros] movie, with focus on the holiday sales season. As for hardware, we will maximize not only new demand for the hardware, but also for those buying second consoles and replacements.”

Furukawa replied that Nintendo would continue to focus on the Switch until the end of the current fiscal year ending March 2024, and would continue to support the console with software in the following fiscal year ending March 2025.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
If it's a simple game that began development on Switch and later changed development to also focus on their next console, I don't see the problem with cross-gen. However, I hope, at the very least, their next console is backward compatible with the Switch. If it's not, I likely won't be getting it. Knowing Nintendo and their track record as of late, I feel like backward compatibility is too consumer friendly for them, sadly.

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
So I’m wondering if those rumors were false. Maybe that console we were hearing rumors about was the Saturn mini.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Are any of you seriously surprised? 3DS kept first party/Nintendo published support until 2019.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
From an economically view, Nintendo would be nuts not to develop cross-gen. Switch user-base is over 129 million consoles. Sales will be bigger on Switch than Switch 2 first years.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
To put things into perspective, if the Switch 2 releases Fall 2024 this means they'll provide 6 months of new cross-gen games.
That's about 1/5th of how long it took Sony to drop the PS4 from first party games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Gonna be funny af and on-brand if they start selling crossgen games but there's no crossbuy/upgrade path to switch 2 so if you want the game on both you're gonna have to pay twice