Nvidia raided by French authorities

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
inquiry into anticompetitive practicesNvidia’s French Offices Raided in Cloud-Computing Antitrust InquiryFrance’s competition authority has expressed concerns that established companies in the sector could exclude smaller onesSept. 28, 2023 2:47 pm ET
Chip maker Nvidia broke into the exclusive club of companies that have a $1 trillion market cap. WSJ’s Asa Fitch breaks down how Nvidia got there—and why AI is fueling the company’s rapid growth. Photo illustration: Annie Zhao
France’s competition authority raided Nvidia’s local offices this week on suspicion the company engaged in anticompetitive practices, the first significant regulatory scrutiny the company has faced since its rise to be the paramount supplier of artificial intelligence chips.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
verge articleNvidia offices raided by French competition authority

Nvidia’s France offices were raided by the country’s competition authority over concerns about anti-competitive practices, according to The Wall Street Journal.​

Nvidia’s France offices were raided by the country’s competition authority this week, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. While the French agency doesn’t mention Nvidia by name, it confirms it carried out a raid over concerns about anti-competitive practices in the graphics cards industry.
Sources tell the WSJ that French authorities specifically targeted Nvidia, which has seen demand for its chips skyrocket in recent months. Several companies, including Microsoft and OpenAI, have purchased thousands of the company’s high-end AI chips to power large language models.
That massive demand resulted in a lot more money for Nvidia. The chipmaker reported earning a record revenue of $13.51 billion in its latest report, marking a 101 percent increase at the same time last year. Nvidia’s valuation briefly crossed the trillion-dollar mark in May as a result of the AI boom.
According to the WSJ, these types of raids occur early in the morning and have authorities “search a company’s premises, seize physical and digital materials and interview employees who arrive for work.” The French authority says it conducted the raid as part of its increased scrutiny on cloud technology, a topic the agency published a market study on in June.
A machine-translated version of the French agency’s press release says that dawn raids “do not pre-suppose the existence of a breach of the law,” which is something “only a full investigation” can establish. Nvidia declined to comment on the story. However, a raid could suggest that Nvidia’s reign in the chipmaking market isn’t going unnoticed by global governments.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
wasnt me music video GIF

Wasn't me!

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I issued it. sorry guys I need a 4090 the Nintendos crappy hardware isn’t cutting it anymore for me. I’ll still be playing pc games with joycons though. Their comfortable within my small delicate hands.

• Surprised
Reactions: Bryank75

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I issued it. sorry guys I need a 4090 the Nintendos crappy hardware isn’t cutting it anymore for me. I’ll still be playing pc games with joycons though. Their comfortable within my small delicate hands.
Maybe if I stop buying my wife new iPhone every year, I would probably be able to afford 4090.