[NXGamer] Starfield performance preview, Why 30fps Might Make Sense on Console

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Was NXGamer approached by MS like Digital Foundry? Knowing MS approach to attempt to control the narrative instead of working on improving their products, as well as their history with Digital Foundry, them approaching this guy would be the next logical step.

OP
OP
Lord Mittens

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Was NXGamer approached by MS like Digital Foundry? Knowing MS approach to attempt to control the narrative instead of working on improving their products, as well as their history with Digital Foundry, them approaching this guy would be the next logical step.

I personally don't think that is the case for NX. But to each there own.

24 Jun 2022
I might have to respectfully disagree with NXGamer on this one, once I give it a watch of course. We really shouldn't be accepting 30 FPS as a baseline on consoles again after being sold on at least options for 60 FPS performance of these same sort of games.

That, and there's nothing inherently complex about Starfield that warrants only 30 FPS aside from possibly the Series S being a bottleneck or the engine itself being a complete mess for optimizations. Most likely, the truth is somewhere between the two.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
60 FPS will never be a thing on AAA console games. The extended cross gen period made everyone believe this was the case. If we truly want to see next gen leaps then all next gen AAA games should be 1080p 30 FPS.

24 Jun 2022
60 FPS will never be a thing on AAA console games. The extended cross gen period made everyone believe this was the case. If we truly want to see next gen leaps then all next gen AAA games should be 1080p 30 FPS.

Why are you trying so hard to believe this narrative? Just because Starfield has a "creative choice" for 30 FPS on consoles (a creative choice not present on PC BTW, where it can go up to 60 and native 4K internal resolution), doesn't mean certain other current-gen only 1P AAA games from another platform holder will be locked to only 30 FPS options.

It's getting kinda tiring to see Sony lumped in with Microsoft's ineptitude, and Starfield isn't even a case of Microsoft's ineptitude so much as the outdatedness of Creation Engine.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
30fps might make sense for microsoft consoles and first party games. Don't infect playstation with that nonsense. I bought a $500 machine and not a $300 one. If Sony 1st party thinks they can pull this kind of bs then I have no problem going back to PC.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
This is going to be a serious debacle when the game releases and people realise the average pc is weaker than a console. This can't run on 60fps on xsx then get ready to not run it on 60fps either on pc unless you have a good specced machine

This is how its going to be moving forward, whenever a game won't perform well on consoles people are going to pile on consoles, but then the game won't perform well on pc either cause consoles aren't weak this gen.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This marketing trend for 4k 60fps will ensure games will continue to look like shit for years to come, due to the astronomical cost of running graphics at those numbers. Give me 1440p 30fps with eyeball melting graphics and I won't care about what your game runs at. Thankfully I'll be playing all microsoft first party on geforce now which means I'll get an unlocked frame rate and i'm sure some dlss goodness

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Xbox, just xbox.

Next gen already hitting PS5 and 60fps.

Returnal
Demon's Souls
DAS

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Xbox, just xbox.

Returnal
Demon's Souls
Sackboy?

This is not a matter of Xbox vs Playstation vs Nintendo. It's just the nature of console hardware. Performance leaps between generations aren't significant enough to increase resolution, performance and graphics anymore. You have to make a choice, specially on a console generation that will last through 2027/2028.

Graphics/complexity are a way better selling point than performance so sure as hell all that GPU time will go into making the best looking game at 30 fps. Specially for single player AAA.

What they can do is offer a next gen ready performance mode. That's basically what FFXVI did. Starfield should have included a 40 FPS mode at least.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Xbox, just xbox.

Returnal
Demon's Souls
DAS

It's just a question of time until PS5 cant run recent games on 60fps anymore.

Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet (which were released on the PS5 at it's first year) are nowhere near as demanding as games released recently.

Even FFXVI which released today has trouble maintaining 50FPS.

So Microsoft and Sony have two joices: Skip 60 FPS or decrease pixel fidelity in order to run games at a higher framerate.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This is not a matter of Xbox vs Playstation vs Nintendo. It's just the nature of console hardware. Performance leaps between generations aren't significant enough to increase resolution, performance and graphics anymore. You have to make a choice, specially on a console generation that will last through 2027/2028.

Graphics/complexity are a way better selling point than performance so sure as hell all that GPU time will go into making the best looking game at 30 fps. Specially for single player AAA.

What they can do is offer a next gen ready performance mode. That's basically what FFXVI did. Starfield should have included a 40 FPS mode at least.
it sure PS trying to do that a case.
they are trying at least have 2 modes. 30fps and 60fps. choice is always good, even if it isn't perfect.
actually, when it is not perfect, it pushes technologies to develop better technologies, that why we have VRR, DLSS, Checkerboard etc..

even if i rarely use 60fps, i still have a choice and i can choose if i wish if i feel that other option is better. that's we have to strive for.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS and Helios

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's just a question of time until PS5 cant run recent games on 60fps anymore.

Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet (which were released on the PS5 at it's first year) are nowhere near as demanding as games released recently.

Even FFXVI which released today has trouble maintaining 50FPS.

So Microsoft and Sony have two joices: Skip 60 FPS or decrease pixel fidelity in order to run games at a higher framerate.
and yet, Demon's Souls and Ratchet looks best. i can add Horizon DLC, which also PS5 only, also 60fps.

FF16 on the other hand, is a grandio game with huge spectacle, this type of game if 1 in gaming right now and could be last for PS5. it is exception not the rule.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If the justification of why your game is 30fps is to achieve better graphics then you failed as a dev. If you are trying to do resolutions higher than 1080p while not achieving 60fps as the only mode you are plain wrong.

Ideally a locked 60 fps would be the target for all these games.

FFXVI shouldn't even have a graphics mode, all resources and decisions should've been made with a locked 60fps in mind.

If you are playing Demon's Souls, R&C Rift Apart, HFW or Spider-man at 30fps mode you should be sent to jail.