Overwatch 2 director addresses review bombing on Steam

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
overwatch-2-g-1280x720.jpg

The director of Overwatch 2 has addressed the review bombing the game has been receiving on Steam since its release on the platform last week.

The game launched on Steam last Thursday and, at the time of writing, has just passed 150,000 user reviews, which Steam says are “overwhelmingly negative”.

Steam’s stats say that only around 9% of the user-submitted reviews are positive, with many players taking the opportunity to criticise the game’s free-to-play structure and its ditching of the much-hyped Hero missions.

In a post on the Overwatch blog, Aaron Keller acknowledged the response, and says he understands the reasoning behind it.

We also launched on Steam last week, and, although being review-bombed isn’t a fun experience, it’s been great to see lots of new players jump into Overwatch 2 for the first time. Our goal with Overwatch 2 has been to make the game more accessible than ever for more people than ever before. Many of the reviews on Steam mention the cancellation of the much larger component of PvE that was announced in 2019 as one of their primary reasons for dissatisfaction with the game. I get that. That announcement was about an ambitious project that we ultimately couldn’t deliver.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
From what I've heard, the review bombing is coming from users in China who can't access the game anymore. I think there's a subtext to this story like moronic steam fanboys are sticking it to their supposed rival Blizzard, but it's probably not the case.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
From what I've heard, the review bombing is coming from users in China who can't access the game anymore. I think there's a subtext to this story like moronic steam fanboys are sticking it to their supposed rival Blizzard, but it's probably not the case.
How could they review bombing if game is not available there, and you can review game just after playing it? Makes no sense.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How could they review bombing if game is not available there, and you can review game just after playing it? Makes no sense.

Is it possible the game was available and is not anymore, so people that added it to the library can review it?