Overwatch in its current form is done. |UP| New Overwatch League and Ecosystem detailed.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The Overwatch League (OWL) appears to be no more after six seasons. A Blizzard spokesperson told Engadget that "We are transitioning from the Overwatch League and evolving competitive Overwatch in a new direction." That's not to say the publisher is pulling out of Overwatch esports altogether. "We are grateful to everyone who made OWL possible and remain focused on building our vision of a revitalized esports program," the statement read. "We are excited to share details with you all in the near future."

In July, Activision Blizzard laid off around 50 esports staff and revealed that, after the 2023 season, OWL team owners would hold a vote to determine whether they'd continue with the league. Activision Blizzard said that if teams opted out, it would pay each of them a termination fee of $6 million. Blizzard has not said whether the vote has taken place and, if so, what the results were.

Update 1/22/24

The New Overwatch Esports Ecosystem​

DTC691RF73W21705455237226.png

Overwatch is a competitive game at its core. It's fast, dynamic, and at its best when two closely matched teams are battling it out for victory.
Our goal as a development team is to ensure that all of our players have the opportunity to experience the thrill of competition - From the highs and lows of organized group play to the excitement of watching the world's best players competing at live events. Esports competitions are vital to any thriving competitive game, and Overwatch 2 is no different. Today, we’re excited to talk about what is next for Overwatch Esports.
Our philosophy moving into our next chapter of Overwatch Esports is simple: offer and cultivate an esports ecosystem that is more open - with anyone able to participate - always-on, regionally focused, providing experiences for participants and fans alike. Overwatch 2 is a game for everyone, and we want to ensure that anyone who has the skills is able to showcase them.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was never a fan of Overwatch, never understood the hype around it.

I guess I was like that with Fortnite too though... just never had any desire to be in that.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Overwatch was such a shitty game to actually watch, too, not sure how "OWL" ever made any money.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Was never a fan of Overwatch, never understood the hype around it.

I guess I was like that with Fortnite too though... just never had any desire to be in that.
Character designs and art direction
It's very Pixar looking game people make indirect correlation to Pixar
So actually the Pixar/DreamWorks artysle alleviated it more than anything else

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

The New Overwatch Esports Ecosystem​

DTC691RF73W21705455237226.png

Overwatch is a competitive game at its core. It's fast, dynamic, and at its best when two closely matched teams are battling it out for victory.
Our goal as a development team is to ensure that all of our players have the opportunity to experience the thrill of competition - From the highs and lows of organized group play to the excitement of watching the world's best players competing at live events. Esports competitions are vital to any thriving competitive game, and Overwatch 2 is no different. Today, we’re excited to talk about what is next for Overwatch Esports.
Our philosophy moving into our next chapter of Overwatch Esports is simple: offer and cultivate an esports ecosystem that is more open - with anyone able to participate - always-on, regionally focused, providing experiences for participants and fans alike. Overwatch 2 is a game for everyone, and we want to ensure that anyone who has the skills is able to showcase them.