Oxenfree 2 coming to PC, Switch, PS4/5, Netflix in July

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Oxenfree II is launching in July

It’s going to be a very supernatural summer. As part of its latest Indie World showcase, Nintendo announced that, after some delays, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals will be launching on July 12th. The game is coming to the Switch but also Steam, PlayStation consoles, and Netflix.
Lost Signals is a sequel to the 2016 adventure game that was not only very creepy (with similar vibes to Stranger Things) but also had a novel dialogue system that made conversation very natural. The sequel moves things forward five years to continue the story. Here’s the official premise:
Riley returns to her hometown of Camena to research strange electromagnetic waves. Tune the radio to communicate with supernatural beings and manipulate the world around you. And watch out for a shadowy cult attempting to open a reality-altering portal. While exploring the town, use the new walkie-talkie conversation system to connect with local contacts.
Lost Signals is also notable as it’s the first release from developer Night School since the studio was acquired by Netflix as part of the streamer’s continued push into gaming. The original Oxenfree is available on mobile for Netflix subscribers.

Now, what makes this interesting is that in 2019 the devs behind Oxenfree claimed that gamepass is great for indie devs:

ign interview

Now it's skipping xbox entirely. I guess it ended up not being that great after all?

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
“What I was worried about was, 'Is this going to cannibalize other sales early on?' That was the main concern. If this is going to be out on the same platform -- I want people buying it on Xbox still -- but what we found out was not only did it not [cannibalize sales], it increased our sales everywhere else on every platform,” Krankel said.

Now that this fantasy has been thoroughly debunked, it's not surprising to see games skipping XBox and Game Pass. There's little reason to release a game on a service which, by MS' own admission, will cannibalize sales. Also, It's a little nostalgic seeing "The future is now" on the IGN article with reference to Game Pass. I still remember people saying things like Sony and PS gamers needed to get with the times because Game Pass is the future. It's been heartening to see that bs disproved over and over.

Reactions: Red2Radio