Patent reveals what Xbox’s game streaming device might have looked like

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
xbox-keystone-b-1280x775.jpg

First announced in 2021 and codenamed ‘Keystone’, the device was being designed to let players stream Xbox games to TVs or monitors without the need for a console.

However, Xbox deprioritised work on the device after failing to produce it cheaply enough to be able to sell it at the desired price. A patent filed in June 2022 and uncovered by Windows Central seemingly reveals how Microsoft envisioned the device at the time.

It was square with a circle shape on top, similar to the circular vent on the Xbox Series S.

xbox-keystone-a-1024x620.jpg

The front of the box, which was once spotted in a photo posted by Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer, featured the Xbox power button and a USB-A port. On the back, there were HDMI, ethernet, and power ports. The right side included what looks like a controller pairing button, and underneath there’s a circular plate the device sat on, similar to the one used for the Xbox Series X console.

He told The Verge’s Decoder podcast that the company built Keystone and some employees took it home to test it out but that while it worked well, it was proving too costly to make and bundle with a controller.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: 2spooky5me

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Honestly, I thought Microsoft would've had a valid cloud option by this point outperforming consoles like Google Stadia last gen. Disappointing, they give gamers no reason to game on their hardware. They are sucking badly at trying to be another PlayStation.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's what the series s should have been from the very start... Good luck to them with even making the name make sense ... Since the Series (S) already took the marketing lol

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
Looking at the design, I think the Series S was meant to be a streaming machine.

S for Streaming.

It would explain why games run like hot sick on the damn thing. Streaming wouldn't require much computing power...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm