PC Gamer: Microsoft conquest of Activision is a triumph of capitalism

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

What makes it particularly weird for me, though, is that beneath all the Dom Toretto-esque invocations of "family," what's really being celebrated here is the triumph of capitalism uber alles. The FTC and the CMA both threw a thumbs-down on the proposed deal, which will see the world's largest independent videogame publisher swallowed whole by a literal trillion-dollar company, and it was only through drawn-out courtroom battles and a touch of political pressure (the UK's government was openly critical of the CMA's decision to block the deal, while a number of Republican legislators in the US called on the FTC to drop its opposition) that any of this happened at all.

My guess is that in the short term, gamers won't notice too much of a difference: Microsoft had to make some promises about not making its big new games Xbox exclusives in order to ram the deal through, and those will no doubt hold, at least for a while. But longer term, who knows? Media consolidation hasn't really worked out super-well so far, and frankly I'm not thrilled about the apparent impotence of regulatory agencies who are supposed to serve as a bulwark against creeping corporatocracy—a feeling that isn't in the slightest relieved by song-and-dance routines about how swell it is that the gang's finally all together.

MiyazakiLovesKojima

The irony is that Xbox Robots like FatLady criticize Sony for using the same (successful & beloved) IPs as a way to characterize PlayStation "Lazy"...

Meanwhile, Xbox buys what is possibly the most bastardized IPs in the history of gaming:
Modern Warfare 3 Cod GIF by Call of Duty
n
...in order to profit from said IPs through mindless "reiterations" for the next 10 years (confirmed by the Sony COD 10-Year Deal) as long as the FatLady sings (the praises & hymns of Game pASS 💨)

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
absolutely insane regulators let this happen. Microsoft must feel invincible at this point.

Arasaka/Militech status
The original goal was to make COD exclusive after 3 years but they were forced to keep it multiplatform because of the heat from the regulators. That's the only win they get.

Everything else they were mediocre and useless. EU in particular was known to be harsher with all the talk about "Big Tech" but in the end they were the most embarrassing. Microsoft is beyond Big Tech and it doesn't apply to them I guess 😒

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44
OP
OP
Fenton

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

Reactions: reziel

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Ahhh that's what he's doing now trying to white knight things he didn't originally care about to add more to facade to make it look like his company is great for the world and industry.