Phil Spencer Doesn't 'Feel an Imperative' to Release an Xbox with Major Upgrades Mid-Cycle

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Fybvc8YaEAE4Vys

“Right now, we’re pretty set on the hardware we have.”

Xbox head Phil Spencer has said he "doesn't feel an imperative" to release a mid-cycle Xbox console upgrade, three years after the release of the Xbox Series X/S consoles.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Spencer said of mid-cycle upgrades in the Xbox Series lineup of game consoles: "That's not the feedback we're getting right now. Right now, we're pretty set on the hardware we have."

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I also don't want a mid-gen upgrade (at least not for another 1-2 years), but it would be bananas if Xbox devs had to support both the Series S and Series X++.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Translated from bullshit to English, Spencer's comments read "Retailers told us to go fuck ourselves when we asked about adding a new SKU, and since we have the Series S making it impossible for devs to really take advantage of the Series X by requiring feature parity, we are stuck with what we have out there."

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Good. Pro consoles aren’t needed.

Especially for Xbox. Developers would have 3 specifications to develop for. Series X, Series S, Series X Pro. With SS holding everything back.

Pointless.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I also don't want a mid-gen upgrade (at least not for another 1-2 years), but it would be bananas if Xbox devs had to support both the Series S and Series X++.
Yeah devs are already struggling with the S.

Once again the cheaper/weaker console option is looking like a disaster.

Sony don't even need a really beefed up ps5 pro. Just need something that can push out higher res/framerates just like the ps4 pro. Doesn't make devs life any harder then what we have with the power difference of the series x and s.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
it would be a home run strategic move from sony to put pressure on microsoft.

Sony could not only have the most powerful console on the market again but the best value in the vanilla ps5/ps5 digital being the price of a series s eventually.

It would force microsoft to put out another sku that would have to develop for also, slowing them down between 3 different models.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it would be a home run strategic move from sony to put pressure on microsoft.

Sony could not only have the most powerful console on the market again but the best value in the vanilla ps5/ps5 digital being the price of a series s eventually.

It would force microsoft to put out another sku that would have to develop for also, slowing them down between 3 different models.
I hope so. My money is ready for PS5 Pro.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Imagine asking for Xbox to buy a Series X2 to play cheap looking games like Avowed, Starfield and that Bioshock clone...

Even more reason for Sony to release the PS5 Pro. The Series S is $349 now and the PS5 DE is $399.

This Phil Spencer guys sucks ass and only gets away with it because the media covers for him. Imagine Jim Ryan trying to pull this crap on people...

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah devs are already struggling with the S.

Once again the cheaper/weaker console option is looking like a disaster.

Sony don't even need a really beefed up ps5 pro. Just need something that can push out higher res/framerates just like the ps4 pro. Doesn't make devs life any harder then what we have with the power difference of the series x and s.
Yeah I don't think we need a PS5 upgrade at all.

As for MS, I wonder if they'd have a more compelling pitch if they only did the Series S, and just skipped the Series X. It's a cheap funnel into Gamepass, easy to mass produce, and a lot of their 1st party games don't even need X performance. If you're already a Playstation person, picking up an S would be an easier sell if it didnt feel like The Shitty Xbox.