Phil Spencer has teased that possible improvements could be coming to the Xbox achievements system in the future. How he brought in the New Year.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

In a wide-ranging interview with Windows Central, Xbox boss Phil Spencer touched on what innovations Microsoft has in store for Xbox, mentioning hardware, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and, interestingly, Xbox achievements.

"There's a roadmap of those things coming as well. There's a hardware roadmap, there's a service roadmap, maybe there's even a roadmap for improvements to Xbox achievements, which I know is something that you and many others care about," Spencer said.

It's unknown what "improvements to Xbox achievements" Spencer might be hinting at here. There have been rumors — for a very long time now, I might add — about Xbox potentially creating an achievement equivalent to PlayStation's platinum trophy, though nothing has ever materialized.

Back in November 2021, VP of Xbox gaming devices and ecosystem Jason Ronald said that Xbox achievements were "top of mind" for Team Xbox, seemingly making them out to be a priority, but still, nothing changed on the user side.

We have seen Xbox make some changes, though, albeit behind the scenes. Back in May, Xbox introduced changes to Xbox achievement rules in an attempt to stop easy Gamerscore titles that can be completed in just a few minutes from flooding the Xbox store. While this has sort of worked, there are still some developers pushing these rules to their absolute limits, especially when it comes to title updates. It will be interesting to see if Xbox will also further tighten these rules if it does make user-side improvements in the future.

Also...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Everything for Xbox is in the future, so what would the point be in buying one NOW?
I'd be mad asf if I had bought an Xbox X for exclusives and based on acquisitions I had to wait well over half the generation just to get something worthwhile showing the X capabilities, if they even get tht.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'd be mad asf if I had bought an Xbox X for exclusives and based on acquisitions I had to wait well over have the generation just to get something worthwhile showing the X capabilities, if they even get tht.
Buying a console for what MIGHT be coming in the future is never a bright thing to do.

Look at all the suckers who bought N64s expecting Final Fantasy VII would be on it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Buying a console for what MIGHT be coming in the future is never a bright thing to do.

Look at all the suckers who bought N64s expecting Final Fantasy VII would be on it.
Oh I know. The point is this shouldn't have even been a might it's things they should have had lined up before and ready to roll out piecemeal to give ppl something to want to buy the system and invest.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
More and more I think XB should lean on earlier 360/OG spirit. Get the old achievement noises or console chimes in there. Maybe marry the OG X onto the 360 ball. There must be a few old games they can fart out onto the backwards compatiblity store now they own BethesABK? to foster that atmosphere to their marketing again?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
When I was a kid if me and a friend finished a game we "clocked" it. Dunno where that came from. A clock is a completed circle? We'd try not to die as well as complete it in one sitting etc. But XBOX should have this Platinum equivalent lexicon be "GEARS 8? 360'd it mate".

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Spongebob GIF