Phil Spencer on mid-gen refreshes: you've got a bunch of issues in front of developers, on what platform they target.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I think what we get ourselves into is this world of like, 'Should we do a mid-gen refresh? Because we think every game should be 4K 60fps. And we're not seeing that right now so, clearly, we need to mid-gen refresh.' As soon as you start doing mid-gen refreshes, you've got a bunch of issues in front of developers, on what platform they target. And it starts to feel a lot more like PC - which is clearly a good ecosystem that's healthy, but then I'm like, 'Okay, well, what's the difference then between console and PC, if we're in this mode of every two years, a new GPU comes out, or CPU?' And there's a bunch of things. I mean, we are the Windows company. We know what it means to run a platform that's more continuous and, I will say, open. I actually love that for console gaming. I love having Discord on our platform, which is something 10 years ago, Xbox would have been like, 'no way!'

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
How come no one has the balls to ask him how big of an issue the Series S holding back the industry is?

Can we get some real journalists now? You know, those people who push for facts and truth and not groveling at executives' feet so they can keep getting merch?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Puff