PlayStation 4 helped AMD to avoid bankruptcy, according to a Senior Director of the company

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
yRJx4CW.png

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2spooky5me

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I remember building a PC back in 2014 and the best AMD option was an FX8350 vs an Intel i7 4790K. It wasn't even close 😂 the store employees said that AMD CPUs just sat on the shelves for 6+ months before being purchased. I had a Radeon HD 7970 that was great but the CPUs were a complete joke, it's crazy to see how far they've come and how much market share they've been able to take.

Now AMD has a market cap of 2.5x what Sony is worth, back then Sony was like 10 times bigger.
The power of great leadership, 90% of Sony execs needs to be replaced, especially the c-suite.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I remember building a PC back in 2014 and the best AMD option was an FX8350 vs an Intel i7 4790K. It wasn't even close 😂 the store employees said that AMD CPUs just sat on the shelves for 6+ months before being purchased. I had a Radeon HD 7970 that was great but the CPUs were a complete joke, it's crazy to see how far they've come and how much market share they've been able to take.

The power of great leadership, 90% of Sony execs needs to be replaced, especially the c-suite.
Could Sony buy AMD? If AMD was going to go bankrupt why didn’t Sony acquire a company that was likely desperate. Having all of these component in house & not having to split shares would make Sony/PS hardware that more profitable aswell as likely pushing even cheaper prices if AMD was owned by Sony we could probably see 300 digital PS5 which is really the sweet spot for console when you look at PS4 & Nintendo Switch

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Could Sony buy AMD? If AMD was going to go bankrupt why didn’t Sony acquire a company that was likely desperate. Having all of these component in house & not having to split shares would make Sony/PS hardware that more profitable aswell as likely pushing even cheaper prices if AMD was owned by Sony we could probably see 300 digital PS5 which is really the sweet spot for console when you look at PS4 & Nintendo Switch
Now? No. Back then? I have no clue but I doubt AMD would've sold anyway. Being close to bankruptcy isn't the same as actively considering bankruptcy. AMD knew things would get better eventually.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
What helped AMD avoid bankruptcy was the ATi purchase made a few years before, without which they wouldn't even have gotten any console design wins because they wouldn't have a gaming GPU architecture to put in there.

Which makes it all the more ironic how they're constantly neglecting the Radeon Technologies Group and instead are pushing more and more resources into everything else.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It was the begging of Lisa Su taking over, talk about great leadership. These Sony bean-counters have nothing on someone like that that fully understand the business she is operating.

Marketcap

March 31, 2012
  1. Intel : $140.79 Billion
  2. Nvidia : $9.51 billion
  3. AMD : $5.61 billion

Today
  1. Nvidia : $3155.28 Billion
  2. AMD : $264.91 Billion
  3. Intel : $132.94 Billion
Sony probably was still recovering financially at the time but given how important GPUs were to PlayStation they really should've bought a stake in AMD just as a matter of protecting their PlayStation business. Another lesson they won't learn, since they should've already learned it when they had problems with NVidia during the PS3 gen.

The best play now for Sony would probably be to buy a significant stake in Intel and chose them for the PS6 but AMD is probably smart enough to have secured the PS6 contracts already.

What helped AMD avoid bankruptcy was the ATi purchase made a few years before, without which they wouldn't even have gotten any console design wins because they wouldn't have a gaming GPU architecture to put in there.

Which makes it all the more ironic how they're constantly neglecting the Radeon Technologies Group and instead are pushing more and more resources into everything else.
AMD was always working with limited resources against strong competitors on both ends, they had to make choices and so far it worked well for them even if they didn't hit it as big as NVidia.

Sony has now enjoyed a very advantageous positions with PlayStation for over 10 years and did very little with it. For as good as they are at making individual products they are also really good at not seeing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Marketcap

March 31, 2012

Today
AMD today is around what Intel was in the past if you take the inflation.
They did nothing to grow their market... they continued in the same market eating part of Intel.

nVidia was different... they indeed really grow.

People forget Sony was near bankrupt too that time... they recovery was similar to AMD.
And like AMD they did not diversity they business and create new opportunities like nVidia... so they just solidificate their place in the gaming market.

While again nVidia become one of the few Big Techs (Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Meta, Amazon and now nVidia).

Reactions: Evilms

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Sadly the gpus used to be competitive and now they are way behind. But the CPUs are great, feels like a monkey's paw moment

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
@ethomaz

Good o'l "Howard Stringer" am I right?
(sarcasm, of course).

It's ridiculous how he accused Japan's management for HIS failures, yet his brother has been with Sony Music since forever, and he is still President, AND getting Ws for Sony to this very day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethomaz

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Marketcap

March 31, 2012

Today
You should just write 3 trillion for Nvidia to put things in perspective.