PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Says Publishers Don't Like Xbox Game Pass (Is value destructive)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
JimRyanFeatured.jpg

The case between Microsoft and the FTC continued on Tuesday with video deposition from PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan being a focal point. During a meeting with Fidelity investors in February 2022, Ryan said publishers just don’t like Xbox Game Pass or the idea of the subscription model.

I talked to all publishers they unanimously do not like Game Pass, because its value destructive.

Ryan added that the belief was “very commonly held” by publishers across the industry. He also said that he didn’t believe Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick would put the Call of Duty franchise on the service if the acquisition didn’t go through.

That said, Sony has worked to help PlayStation compete against the service with exclusive games of its own. Ryan said that PlayStation growing first-party titles is its way to keep Xbox Game Pass at bay.One of the reasons why we are investing massively in first-party development and publishing is to provide us with an edge against pressure on a historic business model. Having a business model where you own elements from the top to the bottom increases your ability to be self-determinant.

One of the reasons why we are investing massively in first-party development and publishing is to provide us with an edge against pressure on a historic business model. Having a business model where you own elements from the top to the bottom increases your ability to be self-determinant.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
First party is fine and all but he seems to be investing in content the core PS userbase never wanted like factions or those other generic MP shooters.

Seeing any first party wasting dollars on creating new multiplayer IP is quite depressing. Let third parties do that while crashing and burning as they do.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
ABK and Bethesda sure didn't seem to like it before they were bought.

Services as the main way to play games is when I quit. I despise micro transactions and games trying to milk my wallet.

Imagine you are reading a book or watching a movie and suddenly it starts to beg you for money. Fucking disgusting and the death of any artistic value.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
First party is fine and all but he seems to be investing in content the core PS userbase never wanted like factions or those other generic MP shooters.

Seeing any first party wasting dollars on creating new multiplayer IP is quite depressing. Let third parties do that while crashing and burning as they do.
What? PS fans wanted Factions, most are disappointed that the game is probably never coming. WTH are you talking about? Also you say “let third parties do that” yeah is that why MS is now buying Activision. Sony needs to focus on their own mp games. They can focus on mp, as long as they don’t devalue sp.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They can focus on mp, as long as they don’t devalue sp.

In a world with finite resources, sorry but that does not happen. And yeah, PS players liked those additions to the SP campaign in Uncharted 2, 4 and last of us. But because they were the icing on the cake. A way to offer some replay value.
That does not mean they would want Naughty Dog to shift priorities from being a premier SP dev to experiment with MP gaming, an area where they are not top dog and have higher probabilities of screwing it up (and seems they did, based on what we last heard and ND apology message)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yet many of them put their games on the service? If they’re serious, they should all boycott it and force Microsoft to actually work for their money

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Microsoft is having to pay more and more to get lower quality games on GP. I laughed when I read a comment in their strategy to the effect of "[acquisition target's] games may not be of GP quality."

I mean GP quality ranges from 50-70 😂😂😂