It No Longer Seems Possible ‘Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League’ Will Last The Year |UP| Sony offering rare refunds for online issues.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I have never seen a game with this much time invested, with this much money invested, from such a talented developer self-destruct this quickly. And now, things have gotten so bad with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League that it no longer feels possible that the game will get out the year of content it has already announced for the game, as Warner Bros. does not seem like a company that is any mood to throw good money after bad, and they’ve already commented that the game has performed below its expectations, which has set them up for a tough year in their gaming division.

I understand if you are no longer following this saga, but this is truly bleak stuff. Suicide Squad did not debut well on PC or Xbox to start with, as the game was doing half Marvel’s Avengers debut numbers of Steam, and it never got higher than Top 20 on Xbox. It did get to #1 on PlayStation for a time, but after a short while, fell out of the top 10 entirely, and we don’t know where it is now.

But after a month, things are just bleak. I haven’t seen Suicide Squad inside Xbox’s top 50 for a week at least. And now, on Steam, which yes, should be a solid place to play the game, I have 60 hours in there, now has hard-to-believe playercounts. The game peaked at just 593 players yesterday. An hour ago, there were just 287 players online. Reviews remain 80% positive, but it simply doesn’t matter. It’s an utter ghost town.

steam
steam

Steamdb

SUICIDE SQUAD

While the core game has problems, the biggest issues have been technical since launch, especially if you’ve tried to play online. That has been outright impossible for most people, and recent fixes made things worse, introducing a new loading bug that cut off previously unaffected players. Now, that bug has been fixed, but other issues remain. And all of these problems have meant that things like actual player and loot buffs and enemy nerfs have simply not happened (they did manage to nerf a popular build right away, however).

The campaign of Suicide Squad ends with a literal the promotion of a year’s worth of content with four new squad members and a bunch of missions. They’ve revealed Joker already, but after that will be Mrs. Freeze, Zoe Lawton and Deathstroke, we already know through accidental in-game reveals or datamining.

But we are headed toward a traditional live service trap, that the game has so many tech issues that its seasonal launch may have to be pushed back, causing even more player abandonment. Joker is supposed to arrive sometime in March, but that’s tomorrow and we don’t even have a release date yet. Unlike Avengers or Anthem which despite their eventual failure, did run quite a long time, I do not see Warner Bros. letting Rocksteady finish even this first roadmap unless it quite literally is all already done, which is likely not possible. The Joker season, sure. The one after that? Maybe. But even if a year seemed like a guarantee, I cannot see that happening now.

There’s also the issue of monetization. This is similar, but also unlike Redfall, which promised two new characters it has never delivered, but the problem there being it actually sold those characters ahead of time. Suicide Squad, meanwhile, like Avengers, will offer its seasons and characters for free, selling only cosmetics. Good for players, I suppose, but bad for the idea that this can still generate significant revenue for its live content.

I did not like Suicide Squad much at launch. I still think it’s full of massive problems. But I did enjoy making builds and moment to moment gameplay over time. I would like more characters, more missions, and course correction from what’s gone wrong. But this game is performing badly at a level rarely seen, and it does not at all seem likely this is going to work. And I fear about future layoffs at Rocksteady given recent industry trends and just how poorly this has gone. It’s a brutal saga, and it may be about to get worse.

Update 1/4/24

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
That's crazy; they need to go back to what they were good at.

I don't want to be mean but i hope this is a hard lesson they learn, and it is a lesson other teams, developers will have a good hard look at, no matter your pedigree, make stuff people want to play, not these cash cow enterprises.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This was a grossly misguided project.
A shame because I've seen some of the technical work that was put in this project and is truly of incredible quality, just imagine the amount of manhours that went into all that animation/artwork and other related things and how very few people will actually engage and have appreciation for it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Maybe a one off issue or not but if you have an issue with this version contact them.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Maybe a one off issue or not but if you have an issue with this version contact them.

Years ago I had once an issue with a Street Fighter V DLC that I had purchased but it didn't appear in the game. They tried to solve it but couldn't, redunded the DLC (by mistake twice) and tried to buy it again to see if that made it appear in the game, but didn't. The next time the game got an update the issue was fixed.

At least here in EU almost everything has a mandatory warranty, if you buy something that doesn't work they have to change it or refund it. Inside a certain period of time, maybe a year or two.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023

I have never seen a game with this much time invested, with this much money invested, from such a talented developer self-destruct this quickly. And now, things have gotten so bad with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League that it no longer feels possible that the game will get out the year of content it has already announced for the game, as Warner Bros. does not seem like a company that is any mood to throw good money after bad, and they’ve already commented that the game has performed below its expectations, which has set them up for a tough year in their gaming division.

I understand if you are no longer following this saga, but this is truly bleak stuff. Suicide Squad did not debut well on PC or Xbox to start with, as the game was doing half Marvel’s Avengers debut numbers of Steam, and it never got higher than Top 20 on Xbox. It did get to #1 on PlayStation for a time, but after a short while, fell out of the top 10 entirely, and we don’t know where it is now.

But after a month, things are just bleak. I haven’t seen Suicide Squad inside Xbox’s top 50 for a week at least. And now, on Steam, which yes, should be a solid place to play the game, I have 60 hours in there, now has hard-to-believe playercounts. The game peaked at just 593 players yesterday. An hour ago, there were just 287 players online. Reviews remain 80% positive, but it simply doesn’t matter. It’s an utter ghost town.

steam
steam

Steamdb

SUICIDE SQUAD

While the core game has problems, the biggest issues have been technical since launch, especially if you’ve tried to play online. That has been outright impossible for most people, and recent fixes made things worse, introducing a new loading bug that cut off previously unaffected players. Now, that bug has been fixed, but other issues remain. And all of these problems have meant that things like actual player and loot buffs and enemy nerfs have simply not happened (they did manage to nerf a popular build right away, however).

The campaign of Suicide Squad ends with a literal the promotion of a year’s worth of content with four new squad members and a bunch of missions. They’ve revealed Joker already, but after that will be Mrs. Freeze, Zoe Lawton and Deathstroke, we already know through accidental in-game reveals or datamining.

But we are headed toward a traditional live service trap, that the game has so many tech issues that its seasonal launch may have to be pushed back, causing even more player abandonment. Joker is supposed to arrive sometime in March, but that’s tomorrow and we don’t even have a release date yet. Unlike Avengers or Anthem which despite their eventual failure, did run quite a long time, I do not see Warner Bros. letting Rocksteady finish even this first roadmap unless it quite literally is all already done, which is likely not possible. The Joker season, sure. The one after that? Maybe. But even if a year seemed like a guarantee, I cannot see that happening now.

There’s also the issue of monetization. This is similar, but also unlike Redfall, which promised two new characters it has never delivered, but the problem there being it actually sold those characters ahead of time. Suicide Squad, meanwhile, like Avengers, will offer its seasons and characters for free, selling only cosmetics. Good for players, I suppose, but bad for the idea that this can still generate significant revenue for its live content.

I did not like Suicide Squad much at launch. I still think it’s full of massive problems. But I did enjoy making builds and moment to moment gameplay over time. I would like more characters, more missions, and course correction from what’s gone wrong. But this game is performing badly at a level rarely seen, and it does not at all seem likely this is going to work. And I fear about future layoffs at Rocksteady given recent industry trends and just how poorly this has gone. It’s a brutal saga, and it may be about to get worse.
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I had once an issue with a Street Fighter V DLC that I had purchased but it didn't appear in the game. They tried to solve it and couldn't, redunded the DLC (by mistake twice). The next time the game got an update the issue was fixed.
Makes sense, thts why I merged it because it might just be a one off and tht guy on Twitter is being hyperbolic lol

Reactions: Yurinka

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023

I don't want to be mean but i hope this is a hard lesson they learn, and it is a lesson other teams, developers will have a good hard look at, no matter your pedigree, make stuff people want to play, not these cash cow enterprises.
I do not think the devs need to learn, but rather the bean counters I doubt the devs wanted to make such a game. CEOs never learn, since they have no accountability for their failure.

• Informative

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I do not think the devs need to learn, but rather the bean counters I doubt the devs wanted to make such a game. CEOs never learn, since they have no accountability for their failure.
You are probaly are right, i wonder if there was some sort of fatigue that had set in within the company, batman game after Batman game, they jumped at the chance to try something different, then perhaps the top brass thought, lets make it a service game

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
You are probaly are right, i wonder if there was some sort of fatigue that had set in within the company, batman game after Batman game, they jumped at the chance to try something different, then perhaps the top brass thought, lets make it a service game
Could be, should have made a SP game I would have been completely fine with a non Batman game.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Rocksteady was very successful with Batman universe games, but maybe were tired of them. I assume they thought it would be cool playing as the bad guys in the same universe. So they could continue milking the cow but with something different. Makes sense.

And since they were a team they thought it would be a good idea to expand it to coop and also go multiplayer and GaaS, since when they started to work on it many of the top performer games were multiplayer and GaaS. Makes sense too.

The game does several things right and some bad or not as good, but it isn't a bad game. The thing is the game didn't perform well on sales due to several reasons, some of them out of their control, like many other companies also having the same idea during these years on going MP GaaS and doing it better for them not leaving them enough space.

Some people will get fired or leave, but I don't think it will hit them negatively in their CV. Now it's clear that the next Rocksteady game should be SP and non-GaaS, and maybe should be another IP outside the Batman universe. Maybe they need to rest a bit the Batman stuff before bringing it back again, after seeing how this game and Gotham Knights performed.

I think that after that rest it's clear that it should go back with Batman as the main character in a SP game, or at least featuring a SP campaign at its core.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Rocksteady was very successful with Batman universe games, but maybe were tired of them. I assume they thought it would be cool playing as the bad guys in the same universe. So they could continue milking the cow but with something different. Makes sense.

And since they were a team they thought it would be a good idea to expand it to coop and also go multiplayer and GaaS, since when they started to work on it many of the top performer games were multiplayer and GaaS. Makes sense too.

The game does several things right and some bad or not as good, but it isn't a bad game. The thing is the game didn't perform well on sales due to several reasons, some of them out of their control, like many other companies also having the same idea during these years on going MP GaaS and doing it better for them not leaving them enough space.

Some people will get fired or leave, but I don't think it will hit them negatively in their CV. Now it's clear that the next Rocksteady game should be SP and non-GaaS, and maybe should be another IP outside the Batman universe. Maybe they need to rest a bit the Batman stuff before bringing it back again, after seeing how this game and Gotham Knights performed.

I think that after that rest it's clear that it should go back with Batman as the main character in a SP game, or at least featuring a SP campaign at its core.
This is all irrelevant now when Sony is doing refunds and probably might delist the game like cyberpunk. But unlike Cyberpunk, they are owned by WB. So guess what happens?
This gets shut down in 6 months, studio is cut in half, and they start making phone games. This is why MK1 is selling fatalities for 10 bucks. WB does not give a fuck what they did in the past, be it Batman or Mortal Kombat. You will make GAAS money or perish.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Everyone saw this coming. They should have listened instead of listening to whatever psychology bean counter told them would make the most money.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is all irrelevant now when Sony is doing refunds and probably might delist the game like cyberpunk. But unlike Cyberpunk, they are owned by WB. So guess what happens?
This gets shut down in 6 months, studio is cut in half, and they start making phone games. This is why MK1 is selling fatalities for 10 bucks. WB does not give a fuck what they did in the past, be it Batman or Mortal Kombat. You will make GAAS money or perish.
What I saw in the screenshot was simply Sony is refunding a guy who experienced some technical issue and couldn't play something he bought, as did with any game before (I experienced it once, something was wrong with a license of a DLC I bought in the past and they refunded it). An isolated case, won't do it for everyone who bought the game.

Sony won't delist a game and refund all purchases just because you don't like it or because it didn't sell well. That's simply stupid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What I saw in the screenshot was simply Sony is refunding a guy who experienced some technical issue and couldn't play something he bought, as did with any game before (I experienced it once, something was wrong with a license of a DLC I bought in the past and they refunded it). An isolated case, won't do it for everyone who bought the game.

Sony won't delist a game and refund all purchases just because you don't like it or because it didn't sell well. That's simply stupid.
Thts what I saw too hence a merge instead of its own thread but then I saw a follow article. Probably one off bs.