PlayStation May Have One More Generation Of Physical Media Support, Nintendo Possibly Two, Analyst Says

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
xbox-playstation-nintendo.jpg

Industry analyst Mat Piscatella has predicted that PlayStation has one more generation of physical media support, while Nintendo possibly has two.

The Executive Director and Video Game Industry Advisor at Circana (NPD) commented on a statement from Josh Fairhurst, CEO at Limited Run Games. The latter reminded fans of Tomb Raider I-III Remastered that the game’s Xbox version is not planned for release at traditional retail, and the Collector’s Edition is their only chance to get a physical version for the platform. Piscatella stated that gaming audiences should probably get used to there being no physical Xbox versions of games across the market sooner rather than later.

The analyst gave PlayStation another console generation and Nintendo two before they go all-digital like Xbox is already beginning to do. A Twitter/X user responded to him by saying that Nintendo’s audience includes casual players who pick up games in the store at a whim. As a result, its games tend to be “evergreen” long-term sellers, which is why the console maker may never abandon physical games. Piscatella didn’t agree with these views, however.

We believe it’s a fair assumption to make, considering how an increasing number of console players are making a majority of their purchases digitally. That said, Sony Interactive Entertainment may opt to offer add-on disc drives, and possibly a console SKU with a pack-in disc drive, for some time. On the other hand, Nintendo’s user base will indeed take longer to move from physical media to digital distribution. It’s also true that its first-party titles are seen as “evergreen” long-term sellers with good resale value.

Via TwistedVoxel

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
No? Sony's home entertainment division did. There's a difference.
You're right, not "PS".

But I mean, Sony aren't going to pickup Disney's physical media workload for movies, and at same time drop the same for their PS games/physical blu ray movies of their own.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You're right, not "PS".

But I mean, Sony aren't going to pickup Disney's physical media workload for movies, and at same time drop the same for their PS games/physical blu ray movies of their own.
Not selling on disk, if it doesn't affect sales totals, adds 20 percent or more to Sony's profit since it cuts out both the cost of the disk and the retailer's cut. And it prevents reselling, allowing it to keep the sales price higher for longer. There's reasons for them to push away from physical.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Not selling on disk, if it doesn't affect sales totals, adds 20 percent or more to Sony's profit since it cuts out both the cost of the disk and the retailer's cut. And it prevents reselling, allowing it to keep the sales price higher for longer. There's reasons for them to push away from physical.
Oh yeah, they could, but I wouldn't understand such a move after picking up Disney's workload.

This seems like a fud article, but one that can be dismissed with only a little thought/research

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
No one at Sony or NIntendo knows how many more generations of physical media they have.
"One More Generation Of Physical Media Support" on Playstation basically means physical media until 2036.

Who the hell knows what happens until 2036?

I agree that optical physical media is on its last legs, but cartridges could be here to stay for a long time.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Oh yeah, they could, but I wouldn't understand such a move after picking up Disney's workload.

This seems like a fud article, but one that can be dismissed with only a little thought/research
This has zero to do with a different division of the company doing a nongaming deal to manufacture disks for a third party. There are reasons to not abandon physical but that adisney thing? No, that is irrelevant to the conversation.