PlayStation Portal Sales Continue to Prove Naysayers Wrong

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Sony‘s PlayStation Portal gamble has paid off, if sales are anything to go by. Eight months after its release, the PS5 accessory continues to sell in major markets. According to Circana, the PS5 remote player was U.S. market’s best-selling accessory in dollar sales for the month of May as well as the year 2024 to date.

Sony has previously said that PS Portal sales exceeded its own expectations, and from the looks of it, the remote player is nowhere close to dying off.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I'm surprised that the Portal is so popular considering:

1) It's not being used to its full potential, which would be as an add-in screen companion for HUD-less games.

2) It idiotically doesn't support Bluetooth headphones or tws, not even LC3-enabled models that have latency controlled under 50ms.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
How is it a gamble to go for the most lazy solution possible? I guess they gambled on people having no standards and got it right.
you have to try it before hating, it works great. It sounds far worse than what it is.

Reactions: Sircaw
26 Nov 2023
I’d be curious to try it out but $300 (equivalent in my currency) for a remote play only device is way too steep an asking price. I can appreciate its form factor and especially the screen but it’s not worth the money for me.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
I'm never trying it, I hate it just for not being a portable PS4 with an OLED screen. I don't get the appeal at all.

The appeal is playing PS5 with full fledged Dualsense features in bed or while taking a shit.

It works great, much better than streaming via the app. It also is (by far) the most comfortable handheld right now.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
But it is doing you good business Mr shareholder
As if something this small would have any impact on the price of Sony shares.

Stay mad.

The appeal is playing PS5 with full fledged Dualsense features in bed or while taking a shit.

It works great, much better than streaming via the app. It also is (by far) the most comfortable handheld right now.
Not for me. Pales in comparison to the Steam Deck.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I still think it needs cloud to really be a meaningful product and I would caution people against putting too much stock in these NPD reports based purely on positioning.

It's a 200-dollar peripheral... You have to sell 3 Dual Sense controllers to equal the sales of 1 Portal and the PS5 comes with a dual sense controller. You also have people buying Dual Sense Edge rather than Dual Sense. The Edge was previously a long-running leader in peripheral dollar sales for the same reason.

All other peripherals have way too much competition to be consistent market leaders.

The Portal being a leader month in and month out is actually an indictment on Sony's headsets though particularly the Pulse Elites, which appears to be a pretty disappointing collaboration between Sony and newly acquired Audeze.

Reactions: Muddasar

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You are my favorite person to laugh at man, the opposite of mad :ROFLMAO: your posts are grade A entertainment IMO. I like to imagine Sony is fucking your wife when I read your posts for extra amusement.
Lets keep it classy please.

FML i am defending @Nhomnhom

Sad Peanut Butter GIF by For Everest

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
am i understanding it correctly that the playstation portal is basically like the controller part of the wii u
i ask because that was kind of crappy

Regardless, happy for the people that can get something out of this. Glad y'all are enjoying it, even if I'll never understand.

• angry
Reactions: 2spooky5me and voke

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But it is doing you good business Mr shareholder

Imagine being angry that the Dual Sense Edge wasn't a PSP... like it's literally billed as a peripheral, but he's angry that it isn't a system because it has a screen?

Imagine the mentality of it.

The Portal isn't a product for me, but there are people who genuinely want one. Sony read the room and delivered on something that a lot of us didn't think had a market at all.

That's where you have to separate yourself from the product and give credit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: TrishaCat and voke

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I still think it needs cloud to really be a meaningful product and I would caution people against putting too much stock in these NPD reports based purely on positioning.

It's a 200-dollar peripheral... You have to sell 3 Dual Sense controllers to equal the sales of 1 Portal and the PS5 comes with a dual sense controller. You also have people buying Dual Sense Edge rather than Dual Sense. The Edge was previously a long-running leader in peripheral dollar sales for the same reason.

All other peripherals have way too much competition to be consistent market leaders.

The Portal being a leader month in and month out is actually an indictment on Sony's headsets though particularly the Pulse Elites, which appears to be a pretty disappointing collaboration between Sony and newly acquired Audeze.

Agree Cloud Streaming would be a game changer.

Probably the reason why Sony isn’t doing it. They want people to buy a PS5 and the Portal remain an accessory.

Reactions: voke