PlayStation Productions Has Animation Projects In The Works

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I remember the Ratchet movie wasn't a hit, and there was a Parappa 2001 anime and a Gravity Rush anime shortfilm for youtube that bridged GR1 and GR2.

I see that now PlayStation Productions and Sony Pictures would bet hard in any project after the Uncharted and TLOU success, but I don't see Ratchet, Parappa and Gravity Rush being huge IPs as Uncharted, TLOU, Mario or Sonic.

Regarding the Gravity Rush moving they are making, I think it's a live action movie.

Can't remember the last time Sony Pictures had any hits..... and it's not because of the source material they work on. Spider-man aside it's literally 007 (another staple) and an oddity here or there more rare than total eclipses.
The recent PlayStation Productions projects are an example of big hits: Uncharted movie and TLOU tv show.

With the success of The Last of Us, adapting Jak & Dexter (another Naughty Dog IP) would make sense.
Jak & Daxter is a dead IP that didn't have a fraction of popularity/sales that the game series of Uncharted and TLOU had. Similar to them are GoW, Gran Turismo, Horizon, Spider-Man or -maybe getting close- Ghost of Tsushima or even Days Gone.

But they are adaption Gravity Rush (maybe because of diversity) and Twisted Metal which were even smaller than Jak & Daxter and are also dead, so who knows. Everything is possible.

Also look at Mario, animation is huge and kids are always looking for the next big new novel thing.
I think Nintendo fans, who buy whatever Nintendo throws at them (even cardboard accesories that need to be manufactured by the customers), were the main audience. And they aren't kids, they are mostly 30-45 year old dudes who sometimes buy these things 'for their kids'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Doesn’t have to be life like, can be animated like Mario Movie etc

Mario is a huge brand, it's more well known than Micky Mouse. As much as I love Jak it doesn't have the same brand power. The only Iconic looking Sony Mascots i can think of are Ape Escape,Sackboy and Astrobot.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Mario is a huge brand, it's more well known than Micky Mouse. As much as I love Jak it doesn't have the same brand power. The only Iconic looking Sony Mascots i can think of are Ape Escape,Sackboy and Astrobot.

I just mean it would be animated instead of real life etc.
Its not as big as Mario of cource, but maybe if they release Jak n Daxter 4 before it, it could do well. Not Mario level etc

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Jak & Daxter is a dead IP that didn't have a fraction of popularity/sales that the game series of Uncharted and TLOU had. Similar to them are GoW, Gran Turismo, Horizon, Spider-Man or -maybe getting close- Ghost of Tsushima or even Days Gone.

Its dead as of now but if they make a 4th game with effort it would be a small hit at least. Probably bigger than Gravity Rush, Sly etc.
Not every game needs to sell like Spiderman or GoT. And before PS4 most 1st party games didnt get anywhere close To Ghost of Tsushima.

Apart from GT and Gow none of the 1st party games sold anywhere close to PS4 1st party games like Ghost or Spiderman. Exception being Uncharted 2 and TLOU.
I think Jak 2 sold over 1.5 million in the first 6 months, Jak 3 1.8million. They would be fine if the right effort was made. It could easily sell 2-4 million in todays market