PlayStation VR2 launch sales may be outpacing original PSVR1 headset

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The truth of both takes from Bloomgberg and this is somewhere in the middle. It's that both PSVR1 and 2 will both sell about the same, which is poorly. Should've never been greenlit for a sequel when the masses has not shown that they are interested in such a device from any company.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
LOL taking the same data which indicates it's not selling as well as Sony hoped... and reframing it :LOL:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Copium, launch month is usually the biggest month. That said i don't expect psvr2 to flop over the long run unless sony doesn't commit to bringing AAA content to it.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
We only have a single data point—a lone estimate from IDC.

As Sony are sending out a majority of headsets directly, only they know.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It's not looking good but I hope it's doing better I want more VR support, a lot more.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Exactly, we will only know when they get solid figures.... for now, it's pointless bickering.

If they trend ahead of PSVR1, then it's not so bad...especially if they are not going through retail much yet.

Reactions: Nhomnhom and Nitro

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony not doing hybrid games like was rumored means they are splitting their resources a lot more than a 'portable PS4' would cost them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

We have a bit more data.

A estimate from NPD February.
Actual numbers from Spain.

Anyway unless it sold nothing outside US and Spain the 270k estimate from IDC is pretty much wrong.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
i hope, we gonna get hard facts. these rumours and speculation just inspire negativity. just in this case

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony not doing hybrid games like was rumored means they are splitting their resources a lot more than a 'portable PS4' would cost them.
On PC some simple mods create very good VR experiences for some traditional games. God of War for example is a perfect candidate for VR due to the lack of camera cuts.

Hybrid games development is the optimum approach to most studios, GT7 and RE are great examples.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
If they trend ahead of PSVR1, then it's not so bad...especially if they are not going through retail much yet.

Right. Sony have modest expectations in any case, stating PSVR2 has the potential to match or even surpass PSVR1.

We have a bit more data.

A estimate from NPD February.
Actual numbers from Spain.
I missed both of these. Can you kindly point me in the direction of the NPD estimate and hard numbers from Spain.

D

Deleted member 417

100k headsets at 550 a pop is impressive
200k is brilliant
300k is better than expected
Then the rest of the increments are varying levels of party time.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Let's see what the real sales are once Sony announces them. In the long term, Sony expects PSVR2 to end outselling PSVR1. If that applies to the launch window, I expect to PSVR2 to have a slightly higher attach rate that PSVR1 had in the launch window.

I think that the 300K number doesn't make sense at all for worldwide numbers until the end of March considering the Spanish sales, and Spain represents a tiny portion of the worldwide market.

As a reference, Spain as gaming market generated a couple years ago $2.3B in 2020 (top 10 country) in gaming revenue out of the $175B generated worldwide. Spain's revenue often is between 1-2% of the global revenue. And the revenue that games generate in Spain are often around 2% of their global revenue.

In the case of Sony the percent that for them represents Spain must be higher because Spain always have been Sonyland.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
On PC some simple mods create very good VR experiences for some traditional games. God of War for example is a perfect candidate for VR due to the lack of camera cuts.

Hybrid games development is the optimum approach to most studios, GT7 and RE are great examples.
Yep. PCVR players have FF7 Remake, Cyberpunk, GTA, hogwarts, half life and a whole host of VR mods they can play. Though it also goes to show that even with all that software VR hasn't really exploded.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yep. PCVR players have FF7 Remake, Cyberpunk, GTA, hogwarts, half life and a whole host of VR mods they can play. Though it also goes to show that even with all that software VR hasn't really exploded.
Pcvr is also really expensive to get a good experience out of, and very fiddly with drivers and settings

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I missed both of these. Can you kindly point me in the direction of the NPD estimate and hard numbers from Spain.
NPD estimates variates from how much the accessory revenue come from PSVR2 so it can variate from 170k to 370k… but even taking the minimum like only 30-40% of the revenue come from PSVR already gives you data to debunk the 270k report.

Spain sold at launch 8k units… and at March 26 it was 11k.

Taking that 11k from Spain and extrapolating to how much Spain matter for Global market you reach a estimate of 600-700k units worldwide.

Reactions: Nitro