PlayStation Year in Review: A steady but subdued year for Sony, despite its noisy neighbors and a visit from Spider-Man

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1703252018915.png

Despite the aforementioned mediocre PlayStation Showcase in May, the Sony State of Play event in September did a far better job of stirring hype for what lies ahead – even if much of that extends into next year. This showing's coup de gras was destined to be a closer look at Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, part two of the planned trilogy, and it wasted no time in getting going. With flashes of Junon Harbour, the parade on the central thoroughfare of the same seaside town, the cable car ride to the Gold Saucer, Cait Sith, Vincent, Zack, Red 13's hometown of Cosmo Canyon, Bugenhagen, mention of Emerald and Ruby Weapon, and that big bastard swamp serpent that Sephiroth makes light work of – it all looked stunning. Now with its February 29 launch date in sight, 2024 can't come soon enough.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Playstation should stop dabbling here and there if they have a plan they need to commit to it
Whilst we are seeing a more multi-platform centric future of playstation by entering the market later they would be capping of their knees to Msft first mover advantage of subscription service and late foray into gaas games is what they may or will be blindsided by

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It was a great year for gaming and though first party content was light this year they absolutely earned to have one off year after the incredible start they have given us to PS5 owners.

Now please give us a great Multiplayer game next year Sony. I can only go back to Uncharted 4 so much 😅.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It was a great year for gaming and though first party content was light this year they absolutely earned to have one off year after the incredible start they have given us to PS5 owners.

Now please give us a great Multiplayer game next year Sony. I can only go back to Uncharted 4 so much 😅.
I know I revisit UC4 mp ever so often. I want to do Factions but I hvnt played in so long I know I'd get destroyed, I use to be real good.

Reactions: Danja

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If you make a list of all the exclusives, hardware and accesories they released, plus all the future exclusive stuff they shown or announced they had a great year, way more if you also add the great multiplayer games.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If you make a list of all the exclusives, hardware and accesories they released, plus all the future exclusive stuff they shown or announced they had a great year, way more if you also add the great multiplayer games.
Im currently playing my PSVR2, while using my brand new earbuds tht I love from Sony and waiting for my Portal to arrive in the mail tomorrow. Yeah good year!

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Disappointing year for PlayStation despite all the success, because Sony is incapable of properly communicating and controlling the narrative.

A lot of good stuff: FFXVI, BG3 being a temporarily console exclusive (due to Xbox incompetence), Spider-man 2 and PSVR2.

But alongside it we had terrible shows, bad vibes, negative news, uncertainty, canceled projects, explicit pivot to GaaS, etc.

I hope that once Jim Ryan is gone (and hopefully Hulst too) we get someone that understand the appeal of PlayStation and what got them here.

Fairgame$ is on the way. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Playstation should stop dabbling here and there if they have a plan they need to commit to it
Whilst we are seeing a more multi-platform centric future of playstation by entering the market later they would be capping of their knees to Msft first mover advantage of subscription service and late foray into gaas games is what they may or will be blindsided by

I will use some Xbox manntra - next year is the year. 😁

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I know I revisit UC4 mp ever so often. I want to do Factions but I hvnt played in so long I know I'd get destroyed, I use to be real good.
Uncharted 4 multiplayer was disappointing but still there's nothing like it out here and the game plays mechanics are still 10/10 so smooth and fluid. If only they had given it more content / modes and made it free to play.

Yup! Got my ass handed to me on Factions over the summer but it was all in good fun. Still a very satisfying experience once teams are both good.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Fairly accurate title, I can't argue too much with that.

Next year starts with a bang though.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
PS5 is beyond review. It just is gaming. If you game you've got a PS5. If PS5 had a "subdued" year, then gaming was subdued this year.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Disappointing year for PlayStation despite all the success, because Sony is incapable of properly communicating and controlling the narrative.

A lot of good stuff: FFXVI, BG3 being a temporarily console exclusive (due to Xbox incompetence), Spider-man 2 and PSVR2.

But alongside it we had terrible shows, bad vibes, negative news, uncertainty, canceled projects, explicit pivot to GaaS, etc.

I hope that once Jim Ryan is gone (and hopefully Hulst to) we get someone that understand the appeal of PlayStation and what got them here.

Agree with all of that.
FF16 and Spiderman 2 were fantastic but I expect more especialky after all the money they made during the PS4 era

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

I hope that once Jim Ryan is gone (and hopefully Hulst too) we get someone that understand the appeal of PlayStation and what got them here.

2024 will be a huge struggle for Sony, even worse than the empty 2023 as they won’t have Hogwarts or Spider-Man to save them.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
2024 will be a huge struggle for Sony, even worse than the empty 2023 as they won’t have Hogwarts or Spider-Man to save them.
2024 will be a great year for them barring no significant delays... I keep seeing this reductive rhetoric being pushed and I'm wondering if y'all blind... January - March alone is a great year. And nothing is announced Beyond March.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It’s funny to see the games press going back to the talking point they used to prop up the N64 against the PS1. Overemphasis on first-party while ignoring that the PlayStation platform has tons of third-party exclusives and is the best system for cross-platform games as if nothing counts unless Sony published it themselves.

It’s as laughable now as it was then.