Pre-load for the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.1 has started! Here are the install sizes on the PS5: MGS1 - 8.45 GB, MGS2 - 16.06 GB, MGS 3

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I think this will be a fat dud. As much as I'm fiending for an accessible version of MGS4 (rumored to be vol 2), I don't trust Konami to do right by the franchise. Everything I've seen looks closer to the baffling RDR Switch+PS4 port than the Bluepoint-style overhaul we dream about.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I think this will be a fat dud. As much as I'm fiending for an accessible version of MGS4 (rumored to be vol 2), I don't trust Konami to do right by the franchise. Everything I've seen looks closer to the baffling RDR Switch+PS4 port than the Bluepoint-style overhaul we dream about.
Yeah, that's what it looks like. The amount of content is the real draw here. Not just the 3 mainline games, including MG1 and 2, but the Nintendo spinoffs, guides and soundtracks for each game.

What I want to know is what they plan to do with AC!D and Portable Ops. PO would be great to play with 2 sticks instead of the PSP version.

Furhtermore, what about The Twin Snakes? We getting that?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah, that's what it looks like. The amount of content is the real draw here. Not just the 3 mainline games, including MG1 and 2, but the Nintendo spinoffs, guides and soundtracks for each game.

What I want to know is what they plan to do with AC!D and Portable Ops. PO would be great to play with 2 sticks instead of the PSP version.

MGS1 is in this pack, and I bet that's where it ends.

I would love to see Peacewalker in 4k with twin stick controls and dualsense features. Phantom Pain was practically like Peacewalker 2 with less ambitious storytelling. If Konami wanted to have a 'new' MGS without Kojima, renovating that game would be a good start. It's AAA caliber content most people probably haven't seen.

AC!D 1/2 they should've put out as mobile games 5 years ago.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
We will have a way to officially play MGS3 on PC after 18 years. That alone will make the collection worth it. Looking forward for part 2 that should include MGS IV with a pretty hefty remaster to make it run and look better.

If Konami wants to try if they can put together new metal gear material they could give it a shot at finishing MGSV.

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Never played any of these games before, are these remasters?

If not have these games aged well?

Reactions: rofif

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
We will have a way to officially play MGS3 on PC after 18 years. That alone will make the collection worth it. Looking forward for part 2 that should include MGS IV with a pretty hefty remaster to make it run and look better.

If Konami wants to try if they can put together new metal gear material they could give it a shot at finishing MGSV.
Wouldn't hold my breath on any of that. You can get better performance on DuckStation than you can in this collection with MGS1. Probably the same with 2 and 3 on PCX2.

Remastering MGS4, made for CELL, might also be a shitshow.

And according to Kojima, MGSV is finished. He made the game the way it is because "he didn't want story to get in the way." That's why he overused the tapes as a storytelling medium.

The only thing that seems left out is the last Episode with Liquid.

This place addresses some of the issues: https://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articles/phantom-pain-unfinished/

@Sircaw

Storywise, they're interesting. Over the top, anime characters with shifts to some pretty serious anti-war/anti-nuke messages. It's also a series that goes a bit deeper into the psychological issues of war.

Gameplay wise? You'll have a tough time. MG 1 and 2 are 2D games (canon and part of the story). made in the 80s, they play exactly how you'd expect.

MGS1 and 2 shift to 3D but still keep the birds eye view camera, that shifts when you approach corners. While you can shoot while moving, it's more a gimmick than anything else. MGS3 offers a 3rd person camera but still keeps that stop-and-shoot gameplay.

Probably would be tough to get into these days, gameplay wise. But the stories are worth it.

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I’m going to assume I can plug in my PS3 to play the old MGS collection and I wouldn’t tell the difference?

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'll keep an eye on this even though it's not on my "have to" list.

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Never played any of these games before, are these remasters?

If not have these games aged well?
MGS1 is pretty aged, particularly in the graphics department. But if you can over look it and enjoy the story, which is really what's so great about it, you'll be hooked. You must start on MSG1.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Let's not forget Metal Gear Rising

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I am not crazy enough to skip physical release of this. No matter how barebones. In fact I like that the games are as vanilla as possible