Review Aggregator:

Metacritic - 87 based on 50 Critic Reviews

hlRJr5G.png

OpenCritic - 86 average - 93% recommended

OnmcmeG.png

Written Reviews

Atarita
- Eren Eroğlu - Turkish - 95 / 100

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a game that doesn't compromise on any part of the experience, every part of it is crafted with great effort and care. In one word, it's fantastic.
Attack of the Fanboy - Christian Bognar - 5 / 5
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a superb Metroidvania that reignites the franchise in exciting ways and only gets better the longer you play it. Meticulously crafted platforming mixed with exhilarating combat makes for a game that is nearly impossible to put down.
But Why Tho? - Kate Sanchez - 8.5 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a vibrant reimaging of ancient Persian myth. It’s a turning of the page for a traditionally Orientalist franchise, and it never sacrifices gameplay to do so. The Lost Crown is the right mix of difficult ingenuity and self-pacing that makes the Metroidvaia inspiration a perfect pairing.
CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 8.5 / 10

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is not just a good Metroidvania game, but it is a great addition to the catalogue of titles in the Prince of Persia franchise.
COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 85 / 100
The Lost Crown is a fun and engaging 2.5D action platformer. It borrows a number of mechanics from several years’ worth of recent Metroidvanias, but adds a few ideas and quality of life features of its own, too. Maybe best of all, it’s a game for both newcomers and Metroidvania veterans
Checkpoint Gaming - Bree Maybe - 8.5 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an incredibly pleasant surprise. Brilliant gameplay and gorgeous visuals make it utterly addictive to play, and in my time with it, I never wanted to put it down. The only fault the experience really has is the story, and while it is perfectly serviceable, it's never sufficiently engaging, even if the gameplay itself is enough to keep you going. If you are looking for a new Metroidvania to sink your teeth into, this is one I can highly recommend, and a strong return to form for the previously long-resting franchise.
Console Creatures - David Pietrangelo - Recommended
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a welcome return to the franchise. It packs a punch with exciting combat, challenging platforming, great visuals, and tons of secrets to uncover.
Easy Allies - Michael Damiani - 9 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a successful reinvention of the dormant franchise that carves out a marvelous new identity, one that clearly has a bright future.
Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù - Italian - 8.5 / 10
The Lost Crown is a delightful new beginning for the saga, a project that exudes all the passion infused by its developers
FandomWire - Lisa Tolmak - 8 / 10
The stunning visuals and superb animations elevate the entire experience. This game emanates style from every corner, with each of its vastly unique biomes coming to life with awe-inspiring visuals. From eerie sewers and lush forests to opulent palaces and icy mountains, each biome is an entirely different world with a distinctive atmosphere.

Bombastic soundtracks set the vibe in each level and rev up during boss battles, while the overall sound design allows you to be fully immersed in the world. Gorgeous and detailed cinematics to boot, continuously had me staring at the screen in awe. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a stylish and challenging action platformer that nails every aspect that makes a great Metroidvania and pushes the genre forward with its clever Memory Shard feature. and while I encountered a particularly disappointing bug, the game’s excellent platforming, tough, rhythmic combat, and stunning visuals more than made up for it.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown isn’t just a powerful new contender in the Metroidvania genre, it’s also a worthy entry in the series that adds new flavor to the franchise. Even if you’re disappointed that this isn’t The Sands of Time Remake you’ve been waiting for, The Lost Crown is a jewel of a game that you shouldn’t let slip through your fingers.

GGRecon - Tarran Stockton - 4.5 / 5
It's tempting for me to say that Prince of Persia is back with the release of The Lost Crown and leave it at that. But that feels like a disservice to a game so boldly different from its predecessors because ultimately it's more than that.

While it certainly still feels like a Prince of Persia game at the core, it stands on its own merits as a consistently brilliant and challenging Metroidvania experience, holding its own against some of the genre's very best.
GameGrin - Alana Dunitz - 10 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an awesome action platformer that pulls you in with its beautiful world and lore, evolving the metroidvania genre with a lot of great changes. You must play this game!
GameSpot - Steve Watts - 9 / 10
Prince of Persia boldly reinvents itself as a metroidvania, and it feels like it has found its new home.
GamesRadar+ - Joe Donnelly - 4 / 5
For those wanting more in the same vein as 3D adventures like The Sands of Time, this ain't it. But it is a return to relative form for a series whose last mainline outing landed 14 years ago – it's just disappointing that this very good game was held back from true greatness.
Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - 8 / 10
The big drawback to The Lost Crown is that if you’re not already a fan of Metroidvanias, it’s hard to imagine anything here will suddenly make you a believer in the genre. It’s a well-made Metroidvania, to be sure, but there’s nothing here that breaks new ground.
Gaming Nexus - Elliot Hilderbrand - 8.5 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown strikes a harmonious balance between combat, puzzles, and exploration, providing a satisfying blend for players. The shadow of the deluxe edition looms, introducing cosmetic items and early access at a questionable price point. Despite this, the core game experience remains untarnished, making the deluxe edition an optional, albeit somewhat disappointing, add-on. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a delightful journey, offering a well-paced adventure that managed to keep me engaged from start to finish.
GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 9 / 10
The Lost Crown is a fantastic game. Not only does it capture the biggest strength of Prince of Persia's earliest sidescrolling instalments, it also reinvigorates the series in spectacular fashion with its Metroidvania design structure. From level design to combat, from the platforming to its visual style, from the exploration to the soundtrack, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an impressive accomplishment in more ways than one, and one of Ubisoft's best games in years.
GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 80 / 100
Elegance, finesse, style – whatever you want to call it, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has it. It sets the stage with familiar Prince of Persia elements while performing them in new ways. The production comes with a few stumbles, yet The Lost Crown always recovers with style, proving itself as a worthy heir to the elegance that this series represents.
Generación Xbox - Frank Montes - Spanish - 90 / 100
A worthy representative of the Metroidvania subgenre
Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an enjoyable and challenging Metroidvania game. Its refreshing setting combined with its intense combat make this journey through Mount Qaf worth the 20-hour trek. The boss fights are a real standout in the game delivering some unforgettable combat encounters.
Hey Poor Player - Andrew Thornton - 4.5 / 5
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is, in many ways, a new direction for this series, but there’s enough pulled from the past that it very much still feels like a Prince of Persia game. With excellent combat, some of the best platforming you’ll find in any Metroidvania, a fantastic world to explore, and a series of incredible powers to unlock, The Lost Crown keeps getting more interesting as you make your way through it. Fans of the series, the genre, or simply great games will want to check out Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.
IGN - Phil Hornshaw - 8 / 10
Returning to a 2D perspective lets Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown perfect its controls and combat while capturing everything that was great about the heyday of the series.
IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 8 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a good metroidvania that makes its intriguing gameplay its most appreciable aspect, which offers many accessibility-related options that allow the game experience to be fully customized. Although it is not flawless in some aspects, such as an uninspired character design and a difficulty balance that is not properly calibrated, Ubisoft Montpellier's new game is a must play for all fans of the genre and the Prince of Persia franchise.
IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 8 / 10
The saga's return to the 2D platform genre in the form of a modern metroidvania leaves us with a challenging and sometimes desperate, but always delightful experience.
Impulsegamer - Nathan Misa - 4.5 / 5
Fun 2.5D platforming, combo-based combat and clever puzzles wrapped in a highly polished, content-filled package. A must-play adventure.
Infinite Start - Grant E. Gaines - 9 / 100
Overall I think Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a solid experience. It's far from perfect, as it can be surprisingly difficult/cheap/annoying, but most of the time it's a creative metroidvania. Add in some genuinely cool boss battles, climatic parry moves, and countless locations to explore and you have an experience well worth considering.
Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100
I never thought 2024 would start with a banger of a 2D title, especially from a company like Ubisoft that's known for copy-pasta open-world games, yet here we are. While Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has elements from other 2D search action titles, it adds a few more innovations and uses its platforming and level design talent to create a remarkable and memorable platforming and sword-slinging experience, polish and all. Give this Metroidvania a whirl; you'll be pleased to know that it keeps the Prince of Persia platforming legacy alive and very well, thanks to its new search action trappings
Leadergamer - Alper Dalan - Turkish - 9 / 10
The game that destroyed my prejudices.
Multiplayer First - Dean James - 9 / 10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown may not have had the strongest response from fans upon its initial announcement, but Ubisoft really knocked it out of the ballpark with this one in the end. Coming in at about the 20 to 25-hour mark for a well-explored playthrough felt just about right for this type of game to avoid overstaying its welcome. Taking Prince of Persia and mixing it with the Metroidvania genre was a brilliant move, as the gameplay and abilities from the series mesh very well with this style, and it makes me hope this is only the beginning of this franchise’s foray into this new direction and is not just a one-off experience.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
I plan to try this game sooner or later (my back log is becaming pretty imposing, so, probably, later). I like almost everything that I have seen if it, except for the character design

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The game looks great within its genre, something quite rare these days at Ubisoft.

A quick look around shows me that Ubisoft's last 80+ MC/OC rated title was Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope back in October 2022. Been a bumpy road for the last couple years for them.
Mirage sold very well for a DLC turned into a smaller full game, but I'm only speaking critically here.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Demo is very good and the memory shards is a pretty useful feature.

Hope this is a sign of things to come from them. A strong Ubisoft is a good thing

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
I quite liked the demo. Platforming seems good and varied and the combat looks fine. I was expecting a little more graphically. I don't dislike the general art style, but I find the character design a little offputting, at least for the " Immortals". The initial cutscene of the demo has some of the most distractingly ugly grass sprite I have seen. Not the biggest fan of the characters portraits during the conversation, either. In general, I find that the gameplay looks solid ( problably it will become too hard for me in latter stage , as pretty much every 2D metroidvania ), the presentation is a bit of a mixed bag.

Last edited:

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I'll play it when it's under 20 dollars the combat looks fun