PSA/FYI Microsoft and their history of retiring consoles

• Thread starter Deleted member 417
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

The story I always heard was that they rushed 360 just to be first, not due to some sort of components dispute on the OG Xbox- which they wanted to get away from since it was a money loser. Even if they had been able to redesign its internals late in life they still wouldn't have wanted to keep it around. Everyone except Sony wanted to get out of that gen as soon as humanly possible.
It could be both but I know Nvidia did the dirty on MS which forced them to accelerate their plans to launch the next gen. IIRC Microsoft were going to let Sony launch first and price their console accordingly, but they took a stab in the dark at pricing and got it right. The Xbox 360 was dirt cheap when it launched.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It could be both but I know Nvidia did the dirty on MS which forced them to accelerate their plans to launch the next gen. IIRC Microsoft were going to let Sony launch first and price their console accordingly, but they took a stab in the dark at pricing and got it right. The Xbox 360 was dirt cheap when it launched.
I mean, it wasn't, especially if you didn't want the gimped version. 400 dollars was way more than what the gen before cost, its only with the benefit of hindsight that we saw the PS3 costing so much more and the Switch being "only slightly less".

Reactions: Deleted member 417
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

I mean, it wasn't, especially if you didn't want the gimped version. 400 dollars was way more than what the gen before cost, its only with the benefit of hindsight that we saw the PS3 costing so much more and the Switch being "only slightly less".
It and the pS3 had a multi-core CPU. For a short time, the 360 was more powerful than high end PC's. The kit that was in the 360 was top of the range.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It and the pS3 had a multi-core CPU. For a short time, the 360 was more powerful than high end PC's. The kit that was in the 360 was top of the range.
I know it was a good deal at the time (if you could even find one, it was the first real case of a console just being out of stock for a long period of time and resellers doing deals) but it was definitely a price-shock.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I know it was a good deal at the time (if you could even find one, it was the first real case of a console just being out of stock for a long period of time and resellers doing deals) but it was definitely a price-shock.
You should look into the PS2 launch, that was completely nuts in terms of scalping.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

FWIW this information has been scrubbed from gaf. The thread has been disappeared and the OP banned.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

I think the series S is getting discontinued and replaced with a mid-range/upgraded version of the current Series S. The XSX will launch a discless version to save on costs and I believe a new 'X' SKU will be introduced to cut down on manufacturing costs.

X chips are no longer needed for the servers as all of those upgrades have been completed.

Would Nvidia ever go back to producing chips for MS after the OG xbox fiasco?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think the series S is getting discontinued and replaced with a mid-range/upgraded version of the current Series S. The XSX will launch a discless version to save on costs and I believe a new 'X' SKU will be introduced to cut down on manufacturing costs.

X chips are no longer needed for the servers as all of those upgrades have been completed.

Would Nvidia ever go back to producing chips for MS after the OG xbox fiasco?

This would be the worst decision MS could do, as they would be introducing a 3rd SKU in the market. The XSX discless? Absolutely, do it. But a 3rd SKU? Damn, what a horrible idea.

• brain
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

This would be the worst decision MS could do, as they would be introducing a 3rd SKU in the market. The XSX discless? Absolutely, do it. But a 3rd SKU? Damn, what a horrible idea.
It's happened before. Xbox 360 core/arcade/elite, Xbox 360 Elite and xbox 360 slim were different consoles. Likewise, Xbox One, Xbox One S/SAD and Xbox One X were 3 different consoles.

The S is an an anchor around the neck of the industry. a Series S 'X' would solve a lot of microsofts problems