[Rant] It's almost 2024, why is it that Microsoft's PC apps are still so bad?

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
I'm not a big fan of using "IT'S CURRENT YEAR", but I've had issues with MS Software for quite some time, and they never seen to be fixed.

Since it's release, the Minecraft official launcher (Yeah, I know that Mojang is separate, they're also super lazy) requires me to open it once, try to launch the game, get a error message asking for me to set up my account name so I can close it and actually launch my game. This has been happening since it's release and has happened once again today when I was preparing a 1.20.2 install.

"Cool you had issues with one software from a subsidiary" you might say, but these are issues that are repeated throughout Microsoft software. MS Store has been an unresponsive, slow, piece of shit since it's inception. Xbox PC app would delete your games, I remember the pain of trying to get PSO2 working, because they decided to release the global version of that as a MS Store/Xbox App exclusive. Visual Studio is a hit or miss. Windows is another issue entirely.

I understand that PC software development is hard. But MS is a company that has been on the pc space for a long time now, so why do their software still suck so much?

Honorable mention to Epic Games, because their launcher is STILL a piece of trash.