Report: EVGA is closing

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
PC gaming is falling apart, they were probably the best GPU producer out there. Shows haw bad things are.
Not completely but it's definitely not in a good state. A lot more weight will fall to Nvidia itself, as their partners are not finding a working model with slim margins. Nvidia trying really hard to get them boys off those 1060's for a 4060 but it ain't working. Fuckers naturally fucked PC gamers hard at the first opportunity when miners became prominent. Moreover as you know when Daddy MS is hurting, it's natural for PC to hurt.... their proxy trojan horse Xbox is hurting and that translates to PC - symbiotic relationship. Can only do so much to keep Windows Gaming afloat and relevant considering the mess that it's. Valve are hedging their bets with fixed hardware in case they don't get their bailout by Daddy MS as well.

We're however still a far cry from the NES to PS2 console era domination, and current PlayStation leadership is more knowledgeable in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than otherwise, specially with clowns like Hermen leading the content side and Jim thinking PC ports is a sound PC policy :ROFLMAO::cry:🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️. Can they even see the weaknesses and trajectory of their direct and indirect competitors? This is the time you double down for the kill, not appease.

That is to say, we're in a time and place where visionary war leaders should be at the head of Sony and yet we have a guy in Jim that doesn't even know how to hold a PS controller properly.

Everyone leaves a lot to be desired, even Nintendo, who should smell Xbox weakness, and position itself as the second-go-to console for third party multiplats by releasing competent hardware on top of their handheld effort. Why settle for a one trick pony when you can hedge by being a two-trick pony instead. Specially now that MS is bleeding hard and their future prospect is bleak? MS Xbox is squeezable of their market position right now. If the ABK deal doesn't go through, it should be a no brainer for Nintendo to step up to the plate. SIE leadership has shown again and again that they can't solve the Rubik cube that pushes MS out once and for all. It will take another market actor squeezing MS Xbox when down by offering same or better from a more attractive position - hence Nintendo is the perfect candidate - naturally squeezing the Xbox user base to irrelevance.

Strategic thinkers? Where are they? Not to be found. CEO's too caught up with day to day ops, margins and profitability - risk adverse.

Last edited:
  • fire
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero and Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not completely but it's definitely not in a good state. A lot more weight will fall to Nvidia itself, as their partners are not finding a working model with slim margins. Nvidia trying really hard to get them boys off those 1060's for a 4060 but it ain't working. Fuckers naturally fucked PC gamers hard at the first opportunity when miners became prominent. Moreover as you know wWhen Daddy MS is hurting, it's natural for PC to hurt.... their proxy trojan horse Xbox is hurting and that translates to PC - symbiotic relationship. Can only do so much to keep Windows Gaming afloat and relevant considering the mess that it's. Valve are hedging their bets with fixed hardware in case they don't get their bailout by Daddy MS as well.

We're however still a far cry from the Nintendo - PS2 console era domination, and current PlayStation leadership is more knowledgeable in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than otherwise, specially with clowns like Hermen leading the content side and Jim thinking PC ports is a sound PC policy :ROFLMAO::cry:🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️. Can they even see the weaknesses and trajectory of their direct and indirect competitors? This is the time you double down for the kill, not appease.

That is to say, in we're in time and place where visionary war leaders should be at the head of Sony and we have a guy in Jim that doesn't even know how to hold a PS controller properly.

Well said, I don't think I could have put it better myself.

All I see is flaw after flaw in their 'strategy', announcing loudly that they will have new expansions into mobile and live service games and PC.... it was communicated like it would be almost limitless profits and new customers. But the reality and execution is in stark contrast to those loud announcements.

Mobile has gone nowhere... only the people they hired have, to other companies.

PC sales are pathetic apart from maybe one or two of the first games and now anyone that might have wanted to buy a PS5 doesnt really have a strong reason to anymore. So it was a lose : lose situation.

Live service? The push seems to have caused massive disruption to Naughty Dog and who knows what other studios... that were well oiled single player producing machines.
They shouldn't have said anything and just bought Bungie and tried their hand at a few different live service games 3-4 (not 10-12) and if they went well, maybe try 2 more.... a gradual thing, with a degree of prudence.

They should have bought something to counter Zenimax too at this point, something that added prestige and quality to the first party but I think Hermen is too focused on putting Guerrilla in position and protecting it rather than lifting all of PlayStation.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I agree. They need at least one big WRPG IP to keep Xbox in their place and prevent the Zenimax acquisition from upsetting the status quo. Third party exclusivity deals for the weeb audience in the form of Final Fantasy XVI is not an answer, period. All it does is satisfy and reinforce the weeb audience on PlayStation that PlayStation is a home to them and prevent Nintendo from siphoning customers en-masse.

So you need that big WRPG IP. Where is it going to come from? Guerrila are the mid kings - marvelously proficient tech wise, puntual release wise but their creative directors continue to be mediocre leads full stop. Even with the power of PlayStation behind them, the favoritism they're enjoying... they still can't jump to Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Bungie level, after decades.

Again who's got the big WRPG to checkmate an event like Elder Scrolls or a new Fallout, and Obsidian RPGs trickling out on a cosistent basis driving the point that Xbox is the home for WRPGs? Again, the IP is not going to come from Guerrilla that's for sure. Horizon is def not that IP. Maybe Blupoint after Demon Souls surprises us but they're fresh. FromSoftware is no longer acquirable and they've tasted success. It's infinitely harder of a get now.

Who's an immediate fix?

CDPR is the best candidate to solve that problem on an instant basis. There are others like Larian etc on a lower totem pole. Either acquisition not big enough to create the fuss required for regulatory oversight but strategic enough to keep market position, and even expand it.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Writing was on the wall tbh. Video cards was by far their largest volume product, even if they had bigger margins on their other products (due to nvidia being a shitty company to partner with and generally unethical), they were never gonna be able to sustain their business only on the revenue from motherboards and power supplies, especially with the downturn in the DIY PC market.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Too bad for you, I assume you never built a computer.

This is a sad day for PC enthuasts... Maybe they should have kept making GPUs after all
I built computers but like 20-15 years ago. Since then I did use laptops at home and in the office had PCs prebuilt by someone else, often companies like HP.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I built computers but like 20-15 years ago. Since then I did use laptops at home and in the office had PCs prebuilt by someone else, often companies like HP.
EW

EVGA was the premier 3rd-party GPU supplier for nVidia cards in the US. What set them apart was an incredibly consumer-friendly approach to warranties and quality control. No other brand had such generous and hassle-free returns on defective products.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
EW

EVGA was the premier 3rd-party GPU supplier for nVidia cards in the US. What set them apart was an incredibly consumer-friendly approach to warranties and quality control. No other brand had such generous and hassle-free returns on defective products.
Ah, ok. Maybe they were US only?

A long time ago, when I built -and sold, before becoming gamedev I did work at a computers store- computers the popular 3rd party GPU brands here were many other brands that are still today here like MSi, Gigabyte, Asus etc.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

A long time ago, when I built -and sold, before becoming gamedev I did work at a computers store- computers the popular 3rd party GPU brands here were many other brands that are still today here like MSi, Gigabyte, Asus etc.
Don't know about US only but definitely mostly US, I believe they were responsible for over half the DIY market video card volume in the US.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I don't recall seeing or hearing much about them until "recently". I would not put a precise date, but they did not seem major (or even really that present) in the early 2000s as far as I can remember.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't recall seeing or hearing much about them until "recently". I would not put a precise date, but they did not seem major (or even really that present) in the early 2000s as far as I can remember.
they've been around for a long time, they started becoming mainstream late 2000s to early 2010s. I think they really took off when Kingpin (very famous overclocker from that era) joined their team.

Banana

Banned
10 Jan 2023
PC gaming is falling apart, they were probably the best GPU producer out there. Shows haw bad things are.
EVGA is/was the GOAT for sure.

PC gaming isn't falling apart.

Leave it to icon-era to turn this thread into port bitching lmao. I guess if PS5 had more than 4 games you wouldn't have time to complain on the internet all day.