Report: Resident Evil 7 on iOS has earned Capcom $28,140 since launch

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Resident-Evil-7_2SBBxwQ.jpg

The release of Resident Evil 7 on iOS has reportedly only earned Capcom $28,140 so far.

This is according to figures from AppMagic reported by Mobilegamer.biz, with the publication saying that the title has been downloaded around 83,000 times since launch on July 2.

Mobilegamer.biz extrapolated that, taking into account Apple's cut, this could mean that the title has only gathered around 2,000 paying customers. GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to Capcom to get more information.

Source

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
It’s an investment in the future with very little at stake. Apple promises to lean more into gaming every couple of years so who knows if it will truly pop off or not.

I like the idea of my device being able to play games of this caliber but only in theory. I own a Switch that I barely play outside of docked and when I’m traveling I’d much rather read a book or listen to podcasts.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But I was told mobile was the future
Multiplats key to success

Etc
Mobile isn't the future, it has been the present since over a decade ago.

This number is just an estimate from a website, but it is obvious that games like this one which are limited to only a handful phones and tablets won't perform like normal games that run in most phones (not only iOS, also Android), as it's the case of Candy Crush, Genshin Impact and so on.

In any case, nobody expected that these few games released for the high end new iOS devices were going to sell a lot. They're just some early experiments -pretty likely funded by Apple- to showcase that the new generation is capable of running games like these ones.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
this is just numbers for iOS right? This shouldn't include numbers for people who bought it on mac desktops or laptops right? only iphone?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
That’s not even enough revenue to pay off one employee for the year.

Pretty obvious these big blockbuster games won’t have success on Mobile. Death Stranding failed too.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Damn that low with 83k downloads? Apples cut must be insane lmao

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Damn that low with 83k downloads? Apples cut must be insane lmao
The article argue that there were only 2000 actual paying customers. I don't really follow the reasoning. I suppose iOS allow you to download the entire game and play it for a limited amount of time, like a demo or something like that ? Anyway, it seems Capcom has made about 14 $ for every copies effectively sold, if Mobilegamer.biz is in the right.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Funny how consoles continue to save the AAA industry ...but hey... dumb CEO's can't see this