Report: Target to stop selling physical media in-store and online by 2025

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Not surprised. Microsoft has the all digital Series S model, is releasing an all digital Series X model later this year and Sony has their all digital PlayStation 5 model with an optional disc drive attachment and it based on rumors, seems like the PS5 Pro will be the same so if digital isn't eliminated by the start of next generation, it definitely will be after next generation.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume they are popular/important in North America, but I think they don't exist in the rest of the world.

But yes, as happened before with movies and music, the gaming market has been moving to digital during years. In 5 or 10 years will be too small, something very niche as physical movies and music are today.

In case of PS, I think both PS5 Pro and PS6 will have the disc drive as a detachable optional thing because many people won't use them and will prefer to save money.

Last edited:

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Guess I will have one less reason to shop at Target 🤷🏼 just like with Best Buy, physical media is one of the main things I purchase at Target, so if they're going to get rid of it then I will just go elsewhere to get what I want.

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
Not surprised. Microsoft has the all digital Series S model, is releasing an all digital Series X model later this year and Sony has their all digital PlayStation 5 model with an optional disc drive attachment and it based on rumors, seems like the PS5 Pro will be the same so if digital isn't eliminated by the start of next generation, it definitely will be after next generation.
nah... for PlayStation, physical games will continue to exist, cause contrary to Microsoft, Sony doesn't want to brute force their consumers to stop buying physical games, the detatcheable disc drive is a life proof of that, they're not locking you in a digital storefront like MS, you can buy a digital PS5 today and easily place a disc drive in it, they even provide you their own PlayStation Direct Store where you can buy physical games straight from Sony themselfs, Sony cares about selling games, being physical or digital, but in the future you'll probably find them only online in big worldwide retailers like Amazon, will be similar to Collector's Editions today, PS Direct will probably be the best place to purchase first party physical Sony games tho, it won't cease to exist, it'll just have more limited prints

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
its inevitable. all digital will be the future within 10 years.

Even Music hasnt gone all digital stop the fear mongering, you can still buy physical cds and vinyl

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xbox tried everything they could to kill the physical media market. Congratulations to them and the idiots that supported this.

All digital future = PC only future.

Ironically here in Brazil I buy most of my PS5 games from a PC parts online store.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
Xbox tried everything they could to kill the physical media market. Congratulations to them and the idiots that supported this.

All digital future = PC only future.

Ironically here in Brazil I buy most of my PS5 games from a PC parts online store.
Microsoft is a disgrace for console gaming, ever since they entered this market, they're the reason we pay for multiplayer today, they're the reason game sales both digital and physical are collapsing, and they may be the reason consoles will cease to exist in the future, they're pushing for a future where you own absolutely nothing and is a slave to the corporation having to pay to access games every month

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
nah... for PlayStation, physical games will continue to exist, cause contrary to Microsoft, Sony doesn't want to brute force their consumers to stop buying physical games, the detatcheable disc drive is a life proof of that, they're not locking you in a digital storefront like MS, you can buy a digital PS5 today and easily place a disc drive in it, they even provide you their own PlayStation Direct Store where you can buy physical games straight from Sony themselfs, Sony cares about selling games, being physical or digital, but in the future you'll probably find them only online in big worldwide retailers like Amazon, will be similar to Collector's Editions today, PS Direct will probably be the best place to purchase first party physical Sony games tho, it won't cease to exist, it'll just have more limited prints

Reason why I see gaming being all digital sooner rather than later isn't because of Sony and Microsoft, it's because of all the gaming publishers out there who can simply save a shit ton of money by eliminating physical and the costs associated with them while gaining more revenue through digital purchases. Gaming publishers pushed for $70 games and they got their way. Just a matter of time until they push for all digital and get their way.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Somewhat of a weird timing with Switch 2 right around the corner. If all video games are included in this phase out then Switch 2 games are going to have a very short window on shelves at Target right out the gate.