Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
RE_Village_Hed.0.jpg

Happy Console Gamer - Recommended
  • Praise for the Third Person mode
  • Didn't really cover Mercs
  • They feel the DLC might be setting up RE9, gives more closure for Village
  • 3.5 Hours on their first playthrough (Medium)
  • More "Survival Horror" than the base game
  • Well worth the price for any RE fan

Polygon - Not Recommended
Shadows of Rose isn't a spectacular DLC, and it doesn't essentially do or say something significant. It appears like a B-tier horror movie, which isn't misplaced for Resident Evil, although its generally self-serious tone can change into tiring, particularly after two complete video games within the decidedly grim saga of the Winters household. These invested of their narrative will discover one thing to chew on, and the addition of the third-person perspective makes returning to the bottom recreation an thrilling chance. Nevertheless it doesn't do something to additional the narrative. Very similar to Rose herself, it feels much less like a stepping stone within the franchise — a mild nudge towards extra plot factors that can probably stay unresolved for years to come back.

Playstation Universe - 8/10
Resident Evil Village: The Winters' Expansion is packed full of great content and definitely worth putting down the cash for. While Shadows of Rose feels cut a little short in terms of potential, it's still a great narrative-based DLC and a unique look at some familiar areas, while the third-person view and extra Mercenaries content is the icing on the cake.

Push Square - 8/10
Shadows of Rose makes up for its short runtime by ensuring every minute of it is quality. With some incredibly inventive sequences, enjoyable puzzles, and the usual Resident Evil gameplay loop, Capcom sends the story of the Winters family out on a high.

GameSpew - 8/10
For those who enjoyed Resident Evil Village and want to spend more time with it, perhaps also getting a hint as to where the series the heading next, the Winters' Expansion should be considered a must-have. Shadows of Rose offers an enjoyable shot of true horror, Additional Orders invigorates Mercenaries mode with new life, and third-person mode gives players another way to experience two campaigns. For the modest asking price, why wouldn't you want to make your copy of Resident Evil Village feel definitive?

God is a Geek - 7.5/10
Resident Evil Village: Winters Expansion is a decent bit of content that brings a reasonably good story to Village with Shadows of Rose. Playing over the shoulders as Ethan will give fans of Village a chance to experience the game like so many other RE titles that came before, and fans of Mercenaries can now play as characters like Lady Dimitrescu and Karl Heisenberg. If you're looking for a new way to play Village, and want to see more from Rose Winters, it's worth getting, but the Shadows of Rose is relatively short, and didn't leave me feeling satisfied with where the story went.

The Verge - Mild Recommend
I was a little disappointed with Winters' Expansion. Nearly a year and a half after Village's release, I had forgotten much of the plot that the new story hinges upon, and the additions to the main campaign and Mercenaries weren't as big of draws as I'd hoped. But if you like spooky Resident Evil, the whole thing is worth it for that one scary sequence in Shadows of Rose, even if it made me nervous to walk through my own doorways.

Wccftech - Mild Recommend
Resident Evil Village - Winters' Expansion is the best RE DLC Capcom has ever produced, but as mentioned, the competition for that title wasn't exactly fierce. Shadows of Rose is an interesting exploration of a character we'll hopefully see more from in the future and plays with the core RE Village experience more than you might expect at first. The third-person mode and new Mercenaries content are also nice, if not quite essential, additions. For those new to Resident Evil Village, grabbing the $50 Gold Edition, which includes the Winters' Expansion, is a no-brainer bargain. That said, if you're an existing RE Village owner considering buying the DLC for $20 a la carte, you may understandably have slightly cold feet

Twinfinite - 4.5/5
When all is said and done, Resident Evil Village: Winters' Expansion is DLC done right. The expansion manages to expand upon things and give me modes and features I didn't even realize I wanted until I had it. Not to mention that the real star of the show, Shadows of Rose, is Resident Evil storytelling at its absolute best. While I may have a few gripes in the execution, I had such a fun, yet terrifying experience playing this game that I believe the DLC is well worth it for everyone, especially those who played the game a year and a half ago.

TheMakoReactor - 8/10
If you skipped Resident Evil Village at launch, the Gold Edition is a fantastic value proposition including the base game and the Winters' Expansion all fixed and patched up. It was already worth your time at launch, and this package is even better. If you already own the base game and enjoyed it, I recommend this expansion, but feel a bit disappointed by certain aspects of all three of the main parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Side note... seems like the 3rd-person mode doesn't work like 3rd-person mode when a game is designed to 1st-person mode.
I noted in the demo that something was not right but the reviewers put that in better words.

I should say if you want to play Village in 3rd-person (for whatever reason you can't play the 1st-person view) try the demo first to see it will be ok for you.

For me I will wait the PSVR2 version ;)

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I had fun with it, Also RE Verse is actually kinda fun, I like it as well!