RETURNAL ( one of the best games of all time )

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Returnal-Cover-Art.jpg

I wanted to make a thread about this game because I strongly believe it to be an overlooked masterpiece (similarly to how I felt about souls games for a long while.)

I give this game such massive praise because of it's remarkable ability to evoke the surreal, enigmatic atmosphere of a Lynchian film. It's narrative and aesthetic are deeply rooted in classic Lovecraftian horror, an otherworldly setting that starts off in the most badass way possible (Selene finding her own dead body in the grass). It sets the tone so perfectly, because this game is nothing but cosmic dread and existential uncertainty, especially in it's audio messages scattered around it's biomes.

One of the most important factors of this games excellence is in it's gameplay. In terms of difficulty, I believe it takes inspiration from something you would see in a Hidetaka Miyazaki game, but delivers it with an arcade twist akin to something like Super Stardust. The roguelike mechanics push the players to adapt, learn, and improve with every run. Combined with fast paced shooting, great controls and punishing enemies, I felt the constant need to master it's mechanics to progress. It was demanding, but I think that's what kept me so engaged. Arcade games as such feel lost in time, you know, the ones that rewarded persistence and determination with a hard-earned victory.

Special shoutout to Biome 3, it's one of my favorite levels in all of gaming. it's properly the end of the first half, so tensions are high. You are going through these labyrinthine environments, fighting some of the hardest enemies the game has to throw at you, knowing that everything is on the line. The OST in the level in particular is fantastic... has a real sense of danger and urgency, pulse-pounding beat that slowly increases BPM when you stumble upon new foes. Once you beat this level, not only did it feel rewarding to just win, but the game also decides to mind fuck you in a particularly brilliant way. Selene, escapes this planet, LIVES THE REST OF HER DAMN LIFE, dies, and then wakes up back in good ol Atropos. I honestly couldn't name you many gaming moments as awesome as that.

And then biome 4... where as you progress through the level, the game swells the boss theme very slowly... and then you have to fight a boss that is synchronized with the song you've been hearing the whole level. It all just felt absurdly cohesive, not to mention the boss theme itself was amazing to boot.

So yeah, incredible gameplay that rewards you for learning it's details, amazing sound design and ost that is both haunting and intimidating, Lynchian type story that's so surreal and dreamlike, I couldn't give you any answers to because the whole thing is just straight up WEIRD, an amazing performance from the main character Selene (Jane Perry) , all wrapped in a beautiful horror sci-fi adventure. I'm still in awe that a project like this came to fruition, I truly believe its worth everyone of you guys time and money! Not to mention it has a Bloody palace mode.... Game of the generation, and I think the only developer that can dethrone it, is Housemarque themselves.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I agree Returnal is a damn fine game, One of the best games of the gen still. Recommend double dipping and getting it on pc as well, use the zero suit samus mod to have a next gen metroid experience

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
@Bo_Hazem rates it as one of the best games he has ever played; not sure if it's the game or that older milf/gilf. looking woman he likes.

Either way, he says its a masterpiece, and bo generally has good taste, at least in games.

Old Woman Yes GIF

• haha
Reactions: Jim Ryan and voke

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I’ll take that as a no 😂 if I’m right please do yourself the favor and experience this gem!
I already played it once it hit PS+, I would never list it as one of the best games of all time, not even close but at least it is a new IP, the only one I can think of from Sony this gen.

OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I already played it once it hit PS+, I would never list it as one of the best games of all time, not even close but at least it is a new IP, the only one I can think of from Sony this gen.
I see, glad that you liked it at the very least

• Cerny
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
@Bo_Hazem rates it as one of the best games he has ever played; not sure if it's the game or that older milf/gilf. looking woman he likes.

Either way, he says its a masterpiece, and bo generally has good taste, at least in games.

Old Woman Yes GIF
Selene is a very underrated MILF in gaming come to think of it.

Reactions: Sircaw

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
My goty of 2021 but it does have some weaknesses in the game design (mostly around the upgrade and pickup system) which could be cleaned up. Still a 9.5/10 for me though, and definitely has some of the greatest boss fights in gaming history. Enjoyed every second of it even when it was kicking my ass.

• Shake
Reactions: arvfab and voke

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Returnal was quite an experience for me and became one of my favorite games of all time.

• Shake
Reactions: voke