Riot Games cancels Pool Party, unannounced Smash Bros. style fighting game

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
riot-games-cancels-pool-party-unannounced-smash-bros-style-v0-k5jVt5FXxks09N8i3JCpsXPTk5ZLksSvt5qOIxMacbc.jpg

Riot Games canceled work on a prototype platform fighter code-named Pool Party in late May, according to current and former Riot Games employees familiar with the decision. Approximately 70-80 employees were working on the game when it was shuttered.

Sources familiar with the project described the original pitch for Pool Party as a platform fighter in the vein of Super Smash Bros. Melee set in the League of Legends universe. Riot Games saw an opportunity to build and support the game’s esports scene — unlike Nintendo, which is notoriously hands-off and even hostile toward the Smash competitive ecosystem.A team of 70-80 employees was staffed to the project: a Melee-like platform fighter set in the League of Legends universe

Source

• sad
Reactions: 2spooky5me

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I'm a Riot Games fan and didn't even know this was in development. But not a big deal, only thing I care about is the MMO

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
riot-games-cancels-pool-party-unannounced-smash-bros-style-v0-k5jVt5FXxks09N8i3JCpsXPTk5ZLksSvt5qOIxMacbc.jpg

Riot Games canceled work on a prototype platform fighter code-named Pool Party in late May, according to current and former Riot Games employees familiar with the decision. Approximately 70-80 employees were working on the game when it was shuttered.

Sources familiar with the project described the original pitch for Pool Party as a platform fighter in the vein of Super Smash Bros. Melee set in the League of Legends universe. Riot Games saw an opportunity to build and support the game’s esports scene — unlike Nintendo, which is notoriously hands-off and even hostile toward the Smash competitive ecosystem.A team of 70-80 employees was staffed to the project: a Melee-like platform fighter set in the League of Legends universe

Source
PS needs to bring PS Allstars asap. The platform fighter scene is going to get fully consume with Nintendo next Smash game & possibly other like Disney being interested Sony/PS need to set there grounds in this genre which barely has competition outside smash & Nintendo ignores the esport scene leaving room for PS to thrive w them owning EVO. Such a miss opportunity PS should be hiring these Riot devs building a new fighting studio.

Also WB poor handling of Multiversus (not shocking given WB history)

Last edited: