Rise of Ronin Review and |OT| "Discipline first, discipline forever"

What do you think will be the metacrituc average?

• 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 81-90

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 91-100

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1710760202923.png

Rise of the Rōninhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Rōnin#cite_note-2 is an upcoming action-role playing video game developed by Koei Tecmo's Team Ninja and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. The game is scheduled to release for the PlayStation 5 on March 22, 2024.

Preorder Guide:

1710931949735.png

Trailers:

Previews:

Reviews:

1711019310780.png

Opencritic:
1711019254118.png

PlayStation Universe
MAR 21, 2024
A jack of all trades and master of some, though Rise of the Ronin feels like a melting pot of influences from other games, it is also quite the surprise of the year for me thus far as it clearly shows that Team Ninja has a confident grasp of compelling open world design in a way that many of its genre stablemates do not. Though the visual presentation might be comparatively a little rough around the edges, Rise of the Ronin nonetheless is simultaneously the most accessible and ambitious game Team Ninja has done to date and one that both hardcore action RPG fiends and open world adventure aficionados will surely embrace.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Player 2
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin isn’t always great, but when it’s switched on, it’s really switched on. The combat system is dense and rewarding, the missions are exciting, and minus some missteps in the open world and with NPCs, this is still a tight experience that feels very good.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

CGMagazine
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin was the near-perfect samurai/ronin open-world RPG that I have been starving for, and offers players a lot of choice in their playstyle.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

PlaySense
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin shows that Team Ninja knows perfectly well what they are doing. The game presents you with an engaging story with interesting characters where your choices affect the course. The gameplay is excellent thanks to the accessible but in-depth combat and there is plenty to experience in the game world. Only graphically the game is not very impressive compared to other PS5 exclusives, but that should not spoil the fun. Rise of the Ronin is yet another recommended game this year.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

PLAYSTATION 5
Screen Rant
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is an immersive open-world historical epic that values its players' time, and it’s also Team Ninja’s best game in recent memory.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Shacknews
MAR 21, 2024
Between its solid combat, varied open world, and enjoyable characters, Rise of the Ronin sets a new tier of excellence in Team Ninja’s game design.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Twinfinite
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is not only a terrific soulslike, but it presents a possible turning point in being the first high-profile entry in the genre to give difficulty choices. Even without that, it is still a fun game that anyone can get into and enjoy, as the combat is worth mastering because nothing beats the feeling of a perfectly timed Counterspark. Plus, this is an excellent way to learn about an important time in Japanese history if you didn't already know it.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

MeuPlayStation
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is much more than an action/adventure soulslike. The accessibility stands out, as Team Ninja makes it more friendly for every gamer (although it's still really challenging) and the narrative brings a more realistic approach than ever. Unfortunately, though, the visuals don't live up to the expectations for a PS5 game and it also has some performance issues.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

XGN
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is a great game for everyone who's looking for a new Samurai adventure to sink their teeth into. With a great historical story, impeccable and spectacular combat and amazing visual style, Rise of the Ronin delivers everything you would expect from a Team Ninja title. Add to this classic formula an interesting open world and some fun co-op and you have a great game on your hands. Some small technical issues hold this game back, but they will no doubt be fixed in the future.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

VGC
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is a fine open world adventure that never elevates itself to greatness. Fun Team Ninja combat will drag you through, but pointless open world fluff and questionable visuals sadly result in 'just another' open world game.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

WellPlayed
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Rōnin's open world is vast and content-rich, but it's a case of quantity over quality that's only partially rescued by the unambitious but technically adequate combat.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Variety
MAR 21, 2024
Rise of the Ronin is a much better game in theory than it is in practice, falling short with outdated graphics, hackneyed combat and painfully generic characters.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think it will score similar to Dragon's Dogma 2 but interesting to see how it goes.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
80 tops.

Still getting it.

Same. I’m expecting high 70s tbh.

Predictions on scores doesn’t equate to my personal expectations. The review industry is a farce and this is just ballparking their bullshit 😁

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Already preordered my copy. I know I’ll like it and Bryank knows why ;)
People already have the pitchforks ready and considering Helldivers got 82 and FF7 got above 90, Im expecting 80 tops metacritic for ROR

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Don't care, pre-ordered, lets go.

Nioh Edo skin, looks good enough. It is open-world though.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
did you get to play it?
No, I'm just making a guess. Just like you and the rest of the people in the thread.

Are you quoting me specifically for some reason? Or is it just to harass me without adding anything positive to the topic of the thread as you already did before today with this other post?
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN
Be respectful to the other people, helps to avoid creating bad mood and thread derailments.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
No, I'm just making a guess. Just like you and the rest of the people in the thread.

Are you quoting me specifically for some reason? Or is it just to harass me without adding anything positive to the topic of the thread as you already did before today with this other post?

Be respectful to the other people, helps to avoid creating bad mood and thread derailments.
you have just made 2 mistakes.

1. i genuinely asked you as dev, do you get it to play it? ( from one sentence you made it as a harassment? like WTF?)
i wanted expand but kept it short, as i was interested if you get to play some games early or in early stages.

2. gif was a joke. obviously. it can't be more obvious than that.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
you have just made 2 mistakes.

1. i genuinely asked you as dev, do you get it to play it? ( from one sentence you made it as a harassment? like WTF?)
i wanted expand but kept it short, as i was interested if you get to play some games early or in early stages.

2. gif was a joke. obviously. it can't be more obvious than that.
Nice to hear this, thanks. I didn't play it. Long explanation of when I have early access to stuff:

As dev I often play games from other studios who are under development -many times not even announced-, to provide feedback and suggestions, and in case of indies who are starting, some guidance. In all cases they are games being developed totally or partially in my local city (Barcelona) or country (Spain).

Typically because I'm a friend of the people who run the studio, or because they are/were in one of the game dev studio incubators where I mentor or mentored, or are from projects started at gamedev degrees or masters in local universities where I gave some conference or went to review the projects of the year, or indies I meet randomly in local or national events showcasing their games.

Regarding big mobile games developed in other countries where I have friends working on them, sometimes they tell me when they release the soft launch (limited "early access" launch in a few countries to make the last tests and tweaks and double check their metrics are good enough before a worldwide release) and I get to play them even if I'm not in one of these few countries.

Regarding AAA games not developed in my city/area (as in the case of Rise of the Ronin), I don't have access to play them before release, even if I have friends working on them (not the case of Rise of the Ronin as far as I know). I only have the public previews and trailers, plus maybe some extra comment (as in the case of this game) from some trrusted local journalist who is a friend and is reviewing the game. Comments that normally allign with the previews, trailers and reviews of the game.

In cases where I know someone from other company in a distant city working on a AAA/AA/big mobile game, they/we sometimes share very limited stuff like that they are working on it and some very minor thing like when they more or less expect to release it, if are happy or not with it, if look forward to it performing well or not, how their relationship with the HQ/publisher/investor goes, in recent times also if they are expecting being hit by a layoff, their personal experience with some new tech/tool/workflow/direct boss etc. Normally don't share even a screenshot of the game, info about its story or features or things like that until publicly available due to NDAs.

In a few rare cases, AAA games make a "friends and family" closed beta a few weeks or months before a public one, specially for MP games. In a few cases I got there too even if I theorically shouldn't because of being in another gaming company (but they don't care because I now work in normally with indie studios).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gediminas
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nice to hear this, thanks. I didn't play it. Long explanation of when I have early access to stuff:

As dev I often play games from other studios who are under development -many times not even announced-, to provide feedback and suggestions, and in case of indies who are starting, some guidance. In all cases they are games being developed totally or partially in my local city (Barcelona) or country (Spain).

Typically because I'm a friend of the people who run the studio, or because they are/were in one of the game dev studio incubators where I mentor or mentored, or are from projects started at gamedev degrees or masters in local universities where I gave some conference or went to review the projects of the year, or indies I meet randomly in local or national events showcasing their games.

Regarding big mobile games developed in other countries where I have friends working on them, sometimes they tell me when they release the soft launch (limited "early access" launch in a few countries to make the last tests and tweaks and double check their metrics are good enough before a worldwide release) and I get to play them even if I'm not in one of these few countries.

Regarding AAA games not developed in my city/area (as in the case of Rise of the Ronin), I don't have access to play them before release, even if I have friends working on them (not the case of Rise of the Ronin as far as I know). I only have the public previews and trailers, plus maybe some extra comment (as in the case of this game) from some trrusted local journalist who is a friend and is reviewing the game. Comments that normally allign with the previews, trailers and reviews of the game.

In cases where I know someone from other company in a distant city working on a AAA/AA/big mobile game, they/we sometimes share very limited stuff like that they are working on it and some very minor thing like when they more or less expect to release it, if are happy or not with it, if look forward to it performing well or not, how their relationship with the HQ/publisher/investor goes, in recent times also if they are expecting being hit by a layoff, their personal experience with some new tech/tool/workflow/direct boss etc. Normally don't share even a screenshot of the game, info about its story or features or things like that until publicly available due to NDAs.

In a few rare cases, AAA games make a "friends and family" closed beta a few weeks or months before a public one, specially for MP games. In a few cases I got there too even if I theorically shouldn't because of being in another gaming company (but they don't care because I now work in normally with indie studios).
Can I get a summary of this post. To long to read.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Can I get a summary of this post. To long to read.
My access to play unreleased games -normally via some people I personally know in the industry, like friends or former coworkers, or people I mentored in incubators or universities- is normally limited to games made in my country, or for foreigner ones limited to rare "friends and family" closed betas in case of AAA or soft launches in cases of mobile games.

I think I don't personally know anyone who worked in this game. The most similar thing is a handful gaming journalist who are reviewing it or played the preview.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My access to play unreleased games -normally via some people I personally know in the industry, like friends or former coworkers, or people I mentored in incubators or universities- is normally limited to games made in my country, or for foreigner ones limited to rare "friends and family" closed betas in case of AAA or soft launches in cases of mobile games.

I think I don't personally know anyone who worked in this game. The most similar thing is a handful gaming journalist who are reviewing it or played the preview.
Gracias Yurinka eres un erudito y galan.