Rockstar reportedly selling pirated/cracked games on Steam

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Discovered by modder ‘Silent’, the Steam version of Midnight Club 2 is actually the version that the scene group “Razor 1911” cracked back in 2003. Let me repeat that. Rockstar was selling on Steam a cracked copy of its game.

As you can clearly see from the HEX Editor that Silent has used, the Steam version of Midnight Club 2 features Razor 1911’s signature. So, instead of releasing the original version of Midnight Club 2, Rockstar went ahead and downloaded a cracked version in order to sell it. And that’s hilarious.

Ironically, this isn’t the first time Rockstar was caught selling cracked games on Steam. Rockstar had previously done the exact same thing with Manhunt and Max Payne 2.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Canadian Lol GIF

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The games are Rockstar's IP, and early 2000s DRM is pretty awful stuff, so it is totally kosher for them to use the cracks to keep the games available if they so choose.

The cracks represent unauthorized derivative works under copyright law, so Rockstar actually owns them.

Poor mom and pop store rockstar right? Doesn't have the funding to come up with an alternate solution to the problem.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I like the irony here despite being technically wrong.

You do have to wonder however what the fuss is all about? The pirate takes the work of others (Rockstar) to release it for free. The dev takes the pirate's job to charge a price right back. You fuck me, I fuck you. Welcome to PC.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I seem to recall a story about Rockstar losing a lot of its source codes? Maybe that's why