Rumor: Microsoft is Planning a Digital-Only Xbox Series X,

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
digital-only-xbox-series-x.jpg
Via InsiderGaming

According to Shpeshal Nick of the XboxEra Podcast, Microsoft is currently planning to release a digital-only version of the Xbox Series X.

The rumored console could suggest that Microsoft is planning a mid-generation refresh of the console, somewhat similar to how Sony is planning a detachable disc drive version on the PlayStation 5. Nick didn’t delve into any additional information, apart from some brief speculation that the revision could make the console smaller (and lighter).

If true, the revision wouldn’t at all be surprising in our opinion. As disc content continues to decline, it makes sense for both Xbox and Sony to get rid of disc drives as a means to reduce production and shipping costs. In fact, we’ve heard rumblings (not yet corroborated to our standards) that the next generation of consoles, which is anticipated to release in 2028 are currently planned to have no disc drives altogether.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I also do not expect the slim model PS5 to include a disk drive either.

It’s clear on both fronts they want to phase out physical media is quickly as possible.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It’s clear on both fronts they want to phase out physical media is quickly as possible.
Phasing out physical media is about raising margins (manufacturing, printing, packing, shipping, store shelves, etc. that costs a lot of money).

and a lot of people are ready, so why sell the disc drive to everyone when only about 1\3rd of players need it... and they only need it from time to time.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yes, I bought a games console. You also support child slavery by buying your electronics, etc. Let's not go down that route. By that logic, we'd all live in the woods and not buy anything.
so, from xbox and shit they are doing to gaming, straight up to child slavery. so every shit decision to make will boil down to child slavery.

yeah, very smooth.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
so, from xbox and shit they are doing to gaming, straight up to child slavery. so every shit decision to make will boil down to child slavery.

yeah, very smooth.
Then you support it too since there is a DDless PS5 sku.

Not that I trust the article in question, Insidergaming is a trash source.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

yeah, very smooth.
Yes, because you insunuate that by purchasing a games console from a company you don't like it automatically supports all their shit decisions. You can enjoy certain things a company makes but not agree with their overall policies. And yes, I do enjoy certain Xbox games, mainly older titles that I can play on the Series X. I'd gladly play them on my PS5 but Sony doesn't support native PS3 BC.

Both of us like PS. By that logic we shouldn't support them because they made questionable and anti consumer decisions in every gen. They started charging for online on PS4 because they could. They started charging for upgrades on PS5 because they could. They manufacture their shit in China, just like everyone else. We still support them.

That's why I used the argument I did. If you look at it like that, we can't have anything, as all companies have anti consumer policies and exploit others to make money. And it all starts at the very basic elements, that are mined using children.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Right now they are charging for the disc drive in countries where they don't even release physical games anymore, another shameful generation for MS.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Fully disc-less consoles will be a travesty, prices will go up. Disc-less PS5 owners benefit from the existence of discs. Playstation still has to compete on price with retail. Absent that competition, games can sit on the store for $70 little downward price pressure. Bestbuy and Gamestop don't want to keep 1000s of copies of Borderlands 3 in their warehouses, so they do blow out sales. If Playstation and Xbox go fully digital, the average price of games will drift upward. They would rather have you subscribe to a game library than sell games for a sharp discount.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero