Rumor: Nvidia might be working on a PC handheld rival to Steam Deck

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
4e94e923c61bf0843639a22594f1385a

Nvidia is reportedly working on a PC gaming handheld of its own, according to YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead, with the claim that “Nvidia is getting serious about making more handheld gaming devices with their graphics IP (intellectual property) in them.” Not only does it make sense in general, as this market is a growing one that Nvidia would want to invest in early, but there’s another important reason for the tech giant’s alleged investment.
Moore’s Law is Dead claims that though Nintendo will be using Nvidia silicon to power its Nintendo Switch 2, Nvidia is looking to expand beyond the console market with a PC-oriented portable system. The YouTuber also asserted: “I have heard that [Nvidia] may even partner with Intel to make a premium gaming handheld.” While this would circumvent the x86 roadblock, it would also require a proper heatsink since the CPU and GPU would be separate.
Source

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don't respect MLID as a source, but I would like to see this. It would be hilarious if Nvidia provides the SoC for Switch 2 and then makes its own x86 handheld that's a billion times better.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This doesn't make sense.

First of all, gaming is kind of a side-hustle for Nvidia at the moment. Gaming is like 20% of their revenue at the moment and it's only going to lower in the short and mid-term.

Secondly, right now Intel is throwing an unprecedented amount of cash trying to push their own GPU architecture for gaming. Why the hell would they choose to undermine their own solutions to pair up with an ultra-expensive GPU from Nvidia?

And how would that work? Nvidia would sell Intel the iGPU designs to include inside Intel's SoC built on TSMC (which never happened before and would become a massive headache for IP and trade secrets), or was Nvidia going to sell a chip for Intel to put into their multi-chip module (like Kaby Lake G with Vega M) which then spends a lot of power in inter-chip connection?

This sounds like one of those MLD make-believe stories like the time he declared Arch was dead, it wasn't going to release and Intel's whole GPU project was being shut down... only for Arc GPUs to actually release a month after that.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I expected it, but they need to find some sort of angle since they don't have a store.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
This doesn't make sense.

First of all, gaming is kind of a side-hustle for Nvidia at the moment. Gaming is like 20% of their revenue at the moment and it's only going to lower in the short and mid-term.

Secondly, right now Intel is throwing an unprecedented amount of cash trying to push their own GPU architecture for gaming. Why the hell would they choose to undermine their own solutions to pair up with an ultra-expensive GPU from Nvidia?

And how would that work? Nvidia would sell Intel the iGPU designs to include inside Intel's SoC built on TSMC (which never happened before and would become a massive headache for IP and trade secrets), or was Nvidia going to sell a chip for Intel to put into their multi-chip module (like Kaby Lake G with Vega M) which then spends a lot of power in inter-chip connection?

This sounds like one of those MLD make-believe stories like the time he declared Arch was dead, it wasn't going to release and Intel's whole GPU project was being shut down... only for Arc GPUs to actually release a month after that.
Wouldn’t call 20% of your revenue a side hustle. Before crypto mining and AI gaming was a key driver of their growth. And like crypto AI growth may be a bubble may not complete burst but it could somewhat deflate.

J

Joey Ravn

I don't think anything is a RIVAL to the Deck. If Valve can put Steam on it, then it doesn't matter the hardware it's running on. I don't feel the hardware margins are that juicy for them to be concerned with other handhelds either. Even better of some6else takes on the burden of making the hardware.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Wouldn’t call 20% of your revenue a side hustle. Before crypto mining and AI gaming was a key driver of their growth.

Not anymore, though.

With TSMC fabs having limited output, the only way for Nvidia to keep driving up revenue and profits is to allocate more wafers to chips with ridiculously high profit margins, like all the H100 solutions.

They got to a point where each wafer on a high-end process allocated for Geforce chips is a wafer they don't get to allocate for the dedicated AI chips. And H100 chips have waiting times of 4 months at the moment, it's not like Geforce chips that they need to wait for OEMs to buy them according to gamers' needs.

The fact is Nvidia is losing money for each wafer of Geforce chips they don't allocate to Hopper and Blackwell instead.
Fullfilling the orders for a ~2021 deal like Switch 2 on the old battered 8nm process is one thing, but don't expect them to start making their own chips using a state-of-the-art process for handheld consoles anytime soon.

Besides, 2023 was the first year since the video game crash of 1983 that the gaming market actually shortened. That's why we're seeing so many layoffs in publishers and studios, because publishers know they can't count on an expanding market anytime soon.
Investing in the videogame market with new projects isn't a great idea, at the moment.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don't think anything is a RIVAL to the Deck. If Valve can put Steam on it, then it doesn't matter the hardware it's running on. I don't feel the hardware margins are that juicy for them to be concerned with other handhelds either. Even better of some6else takes on the burden of making the hardware.
We need that SteamOS iso like yesterday. I don't think it matters (even to Valve) if Steam Deck is the top selling handheld PC. The ideal state would be fierce competition from ASUS, Nvidia, HP, Samsung, Alienware, etc to the point where Valve actually can't compete on hardware quality/value. Then you put SteamOS on it or Windows+Xbox mode or whatever you like.

The point of the Deck is more like a proof of concept. Valve trying to establish standards like the dual track pads, nudging devs to stop with bs launchers, seamless handling of kb+m and gamepad input, etc. Solving the problems so that others can do the stuff Valve is less good at.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Lol Steam Deck.

This device will share tech with the new Nintendo hardware likely a Pro version difference with specs.

I can see Nintendo down the road releasing these improvements as a Pro model down the road.

Funny thing is a rumor exists of multiple sku's.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I expected it, but they need to find some sort of angle since they don't have a store.
The more handhelds the more options to play PS games off of a PS console when they get ported to PC crazy 💀 I’d assume make a storefront maybe they buy a publisher or 2 to have some games guaranteed on there store front. Nvidia has the market cap to buy Take 2 maybe they buy a Take 2 or EA & maybe a Japanese publisher to guarantee games on there storefront seems like the smartest thing to do if real

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Nvidia is an AI company now, this would be a waste of their time and resources.

Unless they're anticipating a pop of the AI bubble and prepping for that. But they're a publicly traded company, they don't do smart Big Picture things like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The more handhelds the more options to play PS games off of a PS console when they get ported to PC crazy 💀 I’d assume make a storefront maybe they buy a publisher or 2 to have some games guaranteed on there store front. Nvidia has the market cap to buy Take 2 maybe they buy a Take 2 or EA & maybe a Japanese publisher to guarantee games on there storefront seems like the smartest thing to do if real
With how much money they got now, I would not be surprised to see NVidia venturing into other business, GeForce Experience could easily be turned into a storefront and PC players seem to love NVidia.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nvidia is an AI company now, this would be a waste of their time and resources.

Unless they're anticipating a pop of the AI bubble and prepping for that.
That makes no sense, it's like 10 years ago saying NVidia was a gaming company and them investing in AI made no sense.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Now a lot of PC games get optimized for Steamdeck, so would make more sense than the Nvidia Shields they did in the past.

It would be also a good way to showcase high end tech they can build for laptops, tablets, PC handhelds, smartphones or in the future, for a couple generations later, Nintendo.

Pretty likely different brands will make PC handhelds in the future, so then can use their own ones as R&D and testing ground for stuff later they could sell to other brands.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
With how much money they got now, I would not be surprised to see NVidia venturing into other business, GeForce Experience could easily be turned into a storefront and PC players seem to love NVidia.
Not just the extra cash flow but these companies are seeing Xbox games go PC day 1 & PS games (who knows maybe PS is dumb to do day n date) & can make a handheld platform that plays both console platform games in 1 machine & other PC exclusive games (almost like slowly replacing what was once these closed platform) at one point you where at the mercy of Xbox & PS now you get there games on other platforms. I see Valve taking advantage of Xbox & PS games going PC the most the Steamdeck 2 will be interesting it will probably be in line w the performance of a PS5 for $500 maybe $550 still being able to play both console platform games in 1 machine plus the PC exclusive & the Steam ecosystem + deep discount + emulation + no pay online subscription its very enticing makes you question even continuing investment on both console platform

Reactions: Nhomnhom