Watch Dogs series is dead due to the failure of Watch Dogs Legion. Report: “Fairly Original” Battle Royale Project canceled.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
Other projects were scrapped too, it's claimed.

If I understood correctly, this is the guy who said Cillian Murphy will be the villain of the next Fary Cry game, then retracted it. I'm not sure how reliable he is

(My first time ever posting, sorry if this has been posted before)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
WCCFwatchdogslegion8.jpg

The Watch Dogs is "dead and buried", as Ubisoft canceled multiple projects based on the franchise, according to online rumors.

Speaking on X/Titter, known leaker j0nathan revealed how the series is seemingly done. Legion's commercial failure brought the cancelation of multiple projects in the series, according to the leaker, including a "fairly original" battle royale project.

Report via Wccftech

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Loved the original 2014 Watch Dogs. Such a great game. Watch Dogs 2 was by far the worse and Legion was in the middle. Shame it appears to be dead and buried.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Well will you look at that, An IP that started off based on a lie, Who could Imagine that :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Such a shame since Watch Dogs 2 is still an excellent game. They had no idea what they wanted to do with this franchise.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Ubisoft may have just quietly killed off one of its biggest franchises​

images

Ubisoft could be about to disappoint fans as it becomes increasingly likely that it killed off one of its biggest IPs while we weren’t looking.

To be honest, this particular franchise has been fairly quiet since the launch of Watch Dogs: Legion when fans felt the final nail enter the coffin lid. However, hope remained that Ubisoft could pull it back from going over the edge.

Sadly, it seems that hasn’t happened.

According to Twitter user @xj0nathan, Watch Dogs is “dead and buried” thanks to “Legion’s failure”. Not only has this cost the fandom any closure, but it’s also meant the culling of a “fairly original battle royale”.

Naturally, fans who have seen this tweet, or who had their own suspicions regarding the IPs future, aren’t happy.

“Everyone loved the ambiance of the first game and the gameplay of the second game,” explained one player.

Legion was almost that, but they decided to go the bland Ubisoft way by making it a live service (seriously, what's the deal with that s**t, just make a single player game with a season pass).”

That fan is going to be even more upset when they learn that Assassin's Creed Red appears to have live service elements, as seen in a leak.

Elsewhere in the Reddit thread, less thought went into the responses, with a fan merely confused by Ubisoft’s creative choices, “How Ubisoft fumbled the whole series is still beyond me.”

It comes at a time when Ubisoft is already in the doghouse, only this time it’s about its upcoming Star Wars Outlaws title. Having discovered that a major mission will be locked behind DLC, fans are understandably upset.

Watch Dogs held much promise, and maybe it still does, but whether it can ever realise it seems to dwindle as a possibility every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Yuniac

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
The first watch dogs demo is what sold me on 8th generation HW. Even if it was BS I don't think that was topped to this day.
I still remember being mesmerized by the Watch Dogs 1 trailer, as most of the internet was IIRC. However, I didn't end up playing any of them because they weren't my type of game.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I never liked it, played the first one and dropped it early on. Just another uninspired Ubisoft game.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I finished Watch Dogs Legion back in 2021.

The concept of the game, an urban Assassin's Creed with a focus on hacking, is nice. Some concepts of Legion specifically, like NPC random generation whose whole life you can then track and mess with, are also really nice additions for open world games down the road.

The problem is that this concept isn't very compatible with Ubisoft's increasing trend of overbloating everything. As it is, Legion shouldn't be a 80+ hour game.
I can only hack so many turrets, cameras and spider bots before I get really tired of it. And boy, was I really tired of it at the end.

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
Ironically, I still remember Aiden Pearce.

UBI (As always) made the worst decisions with its subsequent titles. Aiden should have been the main protagonist as you built the lore around him.

Reactions: Gediminas