S E. pres. says will be ‘aggressive in applying’ AI in its develop.& publishing efforts. Also How The Chaotic Development Of FF 7 changed franchise.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Kiryu, who was appointed as the Final Fantasy firm’s new boss in June 2023, made the comments in its traditional New Year’s Letter from the president.

In the letter, the exec explains the new initiatives he has put in place since his appointment, including vetting games in development and accelerating a plan to provide more resources to its internal teams.

Kiryu also said Square Enix was expanding knowledge sharing with the goal of standardizing its processes and “enhancing our efficiency”, as well as encouraging closer collaboration between its content and publishing teams.

Perhaps the most eye-catching section of the letter, however, mentions the president’s ambitions in the area of artificial intelligence.

“We also intend to be aggressive in applying AI and other cutting-edge technologies to both our content development and our publishing functions,” the exec wrote.

“In the short term, our goal will be to enhance our development productivity and achieve greater sophistication in our marketing efforts. In the longer term, we hope to leverage those technologies to create new forms of content for consumers, as we believe that technological innovation represents business opportunities

Earlier in the letter, Kiryu spoke about the impact of generative AIs such as ChatGPT, which he noted had quickly expanded to cover images, video, and music.

“I believe that generative AI has the potential not only to reshape what we create, but also to fundamentally change the processes by which we create, including programming,” he said.

The president did not share any specifics about how it would use AI for game development, but Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s co-director has previously discussed how it built an AI tool for character facial animation and lip-syncing.

Square Enix’s previous president, Yosuke Matsuda, used last year’s letter to express the company’s commitment to blockchain technology. In the latest letter, Kiryu said the company would continue to support these efforts.

In November, Xbox announced a multi-year deal with Inworld to build AI dialogue and narrative tools at scale, which it said would enable it to deliver “an accessible, responsibly designed multi-platform AI toolset to assist and empower creators in dialogue, story & quest design.”

Also updated 1/7/24

How The Chaotic Development Of Final Fantasy VII Changed The Course Of The Franchise​

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The yearly buzzword filled message from SE's CEO. This is clearly for to please investors, who have no idea what this means concretely, but like hearing things that sound like it'll make more money.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
So they still want to do blockchain and are adding ai generated content? What's with some of these Japanese publisher's obsession with backing the wrong horse and abandoning their established fanbases?

I will admit though, AI could be useful as long as restraint is used and it isn't used to be lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This guy again. I bet Phil Spencer already tried to sold him AI and Azure and the partnership will be announced soon.

This CEO hasn't said anything different than the previous one, besides the AI buzz, which is a given considering the wild speculation within the space this year.

It's a nothingburger of a statement.

Reactions: AshHunter216

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I don’t think ai will speed up dev time tbh. Good devs will do the job just as well.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don’t think ai will speed up dev time tbh. Good devs will do the job just as well.
It definitely will. It'll automate things and be a shortcut for devs in certain aspects of development. What AI can do is very broad and has infinite possibilities.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
It definitely will. It'll automate things and be a shortcut for devs in certain aspects of development. What AI can do is very broad and has infinite possibilities.

It’s already been doing this. I doubt this is going to help. They want to use ai to replace workers and I don’t think that will be feasible.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You're assuming that AI will be used to assist existing workforce and not a tool to replace it, which is exactly what's already happening. In the end, development will take as much if not more.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Bro it has many applications but we will agree to disagree.

Well yeah but it’s not quite what I’d call good thing for tech. Yes it can write simple code and tell you all these neat things about frogs you don’t know. But that’s knowledge a human created for it. I do not believe a machine has free will in the same sense a human being does. It cannot reason it can only imitate what already exists.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You're assuming that AI will be used to assist existing workforce and not a tool to replace it, which is exactly what's already happening. In the end, development will take as much if not more.
Nah I doubt tht. We shall see. Whether it replaces or assists is irrelevant to my comment and why would you assume I thought either. I used the term "automate" that speaks volumes in itself. Automate leading to speeding certain aspects of gaming up. It's already happening with VO, designs, etc

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well yeah but it’s not quite what I’d call good thing for tech. Yes it can write simple code and tell you all these neat things about frogs you don’t know. But that’s knowledge a human created for it. I do not believe a machine has free will in the same sense a human being does. It cannot reason it can only imitate what already exists.
I never said it was good nor do I think ppl losing jobs to ai or any artificial intelligence is good, I'm saying it'll make things more efficient and faster. We've seen it happen in every industry from the lights tht light up the steets, toll bridges, movies with CGI, trying to replace car drivers etc... It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Snes nes

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Why would anyone need to tell people that he's using AI? Everyone uses AI nowadays. It's like saying that you're using computers to develop software.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That is sad :(

Imagine the weird dialog done by ChatGPT.
But reality. It's like McDonald's and ppl pissed that thy were putting kiosks. McDonald's here in NYC now have like 1/2 ppl in some places and rest is ordering through kiosks and waiting for order. Advancement in tech is a double edged sword.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I hate SE leadership so much, they are obsessed with they stuff they are not good at doing.

When I look at what Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis is and think of what it could've been it just makes me angry.