[Schreier] Theres a reason Marathon slipped by a year. Sentiment is not great as of a few months ago

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

31:30 mark

Not great, from what I’ve heard,” Schreier said when asked about the sentiment around Marathon. “There’s a reason it was planned for this year and slipped a whole year.”

“People that I’ve talked to are a little pessimistic about it even hitting its current planned deadline, but we’ll see. I don’t know exactly when that is, sometime in 2025, I’m not sure

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yea, they replaced director after the reveal more than a year ago and earlier playtests. Last playtest was a month ago now. Everything is NDA but seems more positive.

Marathon was supposed to be out … like now

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Not great, from what I’ve heard,” Schreier said when asked about the sentiment around Marathon. “There’s a reason it was planned for this year and slipped a whole year.”

“People that I’ve talked to are a little pessimistic about it even hitting its current planned deadline, but we’ll see. I don’t know exactly when that is, sometime in 2025, I’m not sure

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
NO bs like soon as sony signed them thier checks they flat out just kicked back... and sony warned them over and over about hitting targets they thought sony was fuking around lol

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I will say, I don't think going in the direction of an extraction shooter was a great move.
I think the appetite for such a feast or famine type of gameplay loop is probably quite limited on console.
All the success stories for extraction have been on PC and even then, it's not like there's a whole bunch of them and Bungie probably needs to be the biggest of them all for the money to be worth it.

Seems like a tall ask.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I will say, I don't think going in the direction of an extraction shooter was a great move.
I think the appetite for such a feast or famine type of gameplay loop is probably quite limited on console.
All the success stories for extraction have been on PC and even then, it's not like there's a whole bunch of them and Bungie probably needs to be the biggest of them all for the money to be worth it.

Seems like a tall ask.

Last year bungie invited extraction shooter players (non-destiny players) to playtest and asked something along the lines of “as it is right now would you play marathon over other extraction games?” And the answer was mostly no.

I don’t know when that was but you would assume shortly before the reveal trailer as that’s when they replaced Christopher Barret with Joe Ziegler of Valorant fame. Nothing to do with the reveal but instead the game itself. And to be fair, Christopher Barret was a dungeon pve guy vs PvP dev. (Thus why dungeon elements to marathon is expected).

All we know about the most recent playtest is that it happened and those who shared that they were invited seem optimistic in cryptic fashion since NDA. And to some extent, if things weren’t going well now - I think they’d can it tbh.

I don’t even necessarily expect Marathon to try replace Destiny or its revenues in any way and don’t expect it to. It will be its own different thing and gimmick.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Last year bungie invited extraction shooter players (non-destiny players) to playtest and asked something along the lines of “as it is right now would you play marathon over other extraction games?” And the answer was mostly no.

I don’t know when that was but you would assume shortly before the reveal trailer as that’s when they replaced Christopher Barret with Joe Ziegler of Valorant fame. Nothing to do with the reveal but instead the game itself. And to be fair, Christopher Barret was a dungeon pve guy vs PvP dev. (Thus why dungeon elements to marathon is expected).

All we know about the most recent playtest is that it happened and those who shared that they were invited seem optimistic in cryptic fashion since NDA. And to some extent, if things weren’t going well now - I think they’d can it tbh.

Inviting a bunch of Tarkov players who like the most hardcore and griefing experience and them saying they wouldn't drop their game for this one is probably a good thing tbh. If that playtest was all positive, it would probably indicate that casuals would not even download the game(if it was F2P).

I think extraction shooter of all shooters is probably the most difficult to please both the hardcore/mid-core/casuals and what they would want. In some genres, there's an overlap in what those groups might like, in an extraction shooter they're completely at the opposite end.

I don’t even necessarily expect Marathon to try replace Destiny or its revenues in any way and don’t expect it to. It will be its own different thing and gimmick.

Me neither, the problem is that Marathon has been in the works since 2018 and the game doesn't even seem to be anywhere close to finished, sure there's a bunch of pre production years in there, but the whole project must be climbing in costs at this point. It would a terrible thing for the game to just make an "okay" amount of money after all this time, and catastrophic if it didn't even meet that threshold. They've got nothing else in the works besides this.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
NO bs like soon as sony signed them thier checks they flat out just kicked back... and sony warned them over and over about hitting targets they thought sony was fuking around lol
As long as Parsons is there, nothing will change. They need to get rid of that parasite.

Reactions: anonpuffs

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Bro thought he was cooking 💀💀💀
FKdJKqvX0Ao13XV.jpg

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Other than Insomniac, all his acquisitions were total failures. They guy keeps giving me flashbacks from Crytech back in late 2000s and early 2010s. Anyone share same feeling? 😅
No? Housemarque and Bluepoint aren't total failures, in fact they're probably the best acquisitions they've had outside of naughty dog and insomniac

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Dick Jones

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Sentiment not great? Totoki came out with the belt after warning them before not to play with Sony financials. Growing staff to almost 1400 to have them return going to base level prior acquisition. I don't blame him, incubating teams to make Xbox titles, having back office that can cloud the financial transparency to the benefit of Bungie, mismanagement by their board (he warned them to be more efficient). Yeah not happening, Sony had the clauses in the contract for a reason and used them.

You can't have this amount of overhead costs and operate only on Destiny 2 (a 7 year old title). They bought them to own Marathon so the pressure is on for it. That was the entire spiel; owning live-service, the landscape has changed a bit since then after the ABK court with Xbox.
But if it's a good acquisition will depend imo on how big of a success Marathon will be alongside Destiny.

No? Housemarque and Bluepoint aren't total failures
Would add Valkyrie Entertainment (worked with SM on GoW) was logical as well as support studio. And depending on your viewpoint, Nixxes I mean it offloads the PC work.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, games like Breath of the Wild, GoW Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7 or Horizon Forbidden West were also delayed like a year or more for a reason too. They do it because they consider that the game needs more work to complete, polish, fix and tweak stuff that they are not happy with.

To delay a big game for a year or so means a lot of money, so obviously if they do it it's because they consider that the game really needs it (maybe also to better fit their marketing slots roadmap or to don't compete against a too similar game released too close).

Other than Insomniac, all his acquisitions were total failures. They guy keeps giving me flashbacks from Crytech back in late 2000s and early 2010s. Anyone share same feeling? 😅
Sony was happy enough with Returnal to buy Housemarque soon after the release. Since then they released a DLC and that was not too long ago, didn't have enough time to release another game.

The Final Shape has been a big success, and the Maraton teaser got record numbers. Plus they did help other Sony GaaS like GT7, MLB and HD2 be more successful. But Bungie was overstaffed specially with the post acquisition hirings, so in addition to cut the redundancies they also reduced their manpower to be now a bit bigger than when they were acquired.

Bluepoint and Valkyrie did a good job with GoWR, same goes with Firesprite and Horizon CoM or Nixxes and their PC ports.

Others like Firewalk, Neon Koi and Haven still hadn't time to release their first title.

They aren't a failure at all.

GaaS shit is killing SIE.
No, this generation they are having more revenue and profit than ever. The Final Shape, Helldivers 2, Gran Turismo 7 or MLB are big successes.

Last edited: