Sega implies Super Mario Wonder was responsible for Sonic Superstars selling less than expected

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
mario-vs-sonic-1440x810.jpg

Sega executives have implied that Super Mario Bros Wonder was responsible for Sonic Superstars selling fewer copies than expected. The company has just released its English translation of a Q&A session held earlier this month, following its Q3 results presentation for its current fiscal year.

Sega had stated that Sonic Superstars had sold fewer copies than had been forecast, so during the Q&A Sega Sammy Holdings executive vice president Makoto Takahashi and IR/SR department director Nobuaki Yoshii were asked how they evaluated the game’s performance.

“Although Sonic Superstars has generally been well received by those who have played it, the timing of the launch coincided with competing titles in the same genre, and it has been short of the initial forecast,” they replied.

“The strategic expansion of Sonic IP is progressing well, and we will continue to work to increase repeat sales of this title.”

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I want to say that the idea of 4 players at once, New SMB Wii style, is a good one. Why the fuck it was built on the Sonic 4 engine and not the Mania one is beyond me.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It's on PS+. I got mine part way through the month and it just says "pay us 3.70 for rest of this month" or something.

Played first two levels, pissing around. Levels seem much nicer than Sonic 4's bottomless pits and Sonic 4 Pt2 tag team mechanics. Sonic modelled on Classic Sonic and so far no one is talking in little cutscenes.

I don't seem to be able to get the other Sonic Friends on screen with him. I sorta assumed a button switched whom was "in front" like the homebrew Sonic Classic Heroes... No one said I'd have to have actual friends in real life to see 4 players on-screen.

So far so good? It's got ever so slightly improved Sonic 4 movement physics, as far as I can tell. Slow-motion rounding a hill's wall, or a loop. Feeling "sucked into" enemies with "slippery" jumps. I don't mind the artstyle (for classic characters), but Christ do I wish this had Mania controls. Dampens an otherwise (so far) non-offensive entry.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's on PS+. I got mine part way through the month and it just says "pay us 3.70 for rest of this month" or something.

Played first two levels, pissing around. Levels seem much nicer than Sonic 4's bottomless pits and Sonic 4 Pt2 tag team mechanics. Sonic modelled on Classic Sonic and so far no one is talking in little cutscenes.

I don't seem to be able to get the other Sonic Friends on screen with him. I sorta assumed a button switched whom was "in front" like the homebrew Sonic Classic Heroes... No one said I'd have to have actual friends in real life to see 4 players on-screen.

So far so good? It's got ever so slightly improved Sonic 4 movement physics, as far as I can tell. Slow-motion rounding a hill's wall, or a loop. Feeling "sucked into" enemies with "slippery" jumps. I don't mind the artstyle (for classic characters), but Christ do I wish this had Mania controls. Dampens an otherwise (so far) non-offensive entry.
I'm getting it when it's less the 20 quid I won't pay more than that for a platformer unless it's crash / spyro

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I want to say that the idea of 4 players at once, New SMB Wii style, is a good one. Why the fuck it was built on the Sonic 4 engine and not the Mania one is beyond me.
They got gifted a gold nugget and refuse to acknowledge it since the game was built by an outside team (who they've since alienated and driven off.)