Sega nears deal to acquire Angry Birds maker Rovio for $1 billion,

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Japan's Sega Sammy Holdings Inc (6460.T) is nearing a deal to acquire Rovio Entertainment (ROVIO.HE), the company behind the 'Angry Birds' mobile game, for about $1 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

Tokyo-based Sega could finalize the deal to complete the acquisition of Rovio by early next week, the report said citing people familiar with the matter.

Israeli peer Playtika (8II.F), had made a preliminary bid in January to buy Rovio for 683 million euros ($750.96 million), but the Angry Birds maker confirmed last month talks had ended.

Rovio and Sega did not immediately respond to Reuters' requests for comment.

• sad
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That's so random. What are they going to do with that?
Keep making Angry Birds. For what its worth I think its a bad buy, too, since Rovio has yet to produce another non-AB hit (or even, really, another successful non-AB game at all.) From a locational standpoint it sort of makes sense, I guess- most of Sega's non-Japanese assets are in Europe and targetted at PCs, which is closer to mobile than console is anyway.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Does Sega have any mobile assets? I read the article an hour back but promptly forgot if it was mentioned.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Lol, I didn't see this coming. Rovio was huge years ago but not sure if they have been getting great results in recent years.

Edit: They are no longer a top dog as they were in mobile many years ago but for the scale of Sega it would be a great acquisition if price is reasonable, but I assume it can be something they can afford.

rovio-revenue.jpg

rovio-annual-net-income.jpg

I still don't understand why take 2 is paying that much for Zynga
Because fhey make a lot of money. Look a this revenue and compare it with the one above:
image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Rovio is a one-hit wonder, and said hit is well past its prime. Terrible buy for SEGA.

But then again, they do have a long history of bad decisions... 🤷‍♂️

• thinking_hard

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Rovio is a one-hit wonder, and said hit is well past its prime. Terrible buy for SEGA.

But then again, they do have a long history of bad decisions... 🤷‍♂️

That’s a very SEGA move, buying out a company years after their biggest IP dropped off in popularity.

What a suicidally stupid company.
But 2022 was a record year with 318 millions euros. Am I reading the chart wrong? It looks like they're making more revenue than ever since 2017?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But 2022 was a record year with 318 millions euros. Am I reading the chart wrong? It looks like they're making more revenue than ever since 2017?
Yes, they are profitabe, are in a growing revenue pattern and 2022 is their record year.

In addition to this they did open a new studio in Barcelona recently, maybe the European city with the biggest amount of mobile gaming hits and studios. So pretty likely their revenue will continue growing and probably will have more hits from there in the near future.

Maybe to pay a Billion for them is a bit too expensive, but seems a good acquisition.

• fire

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lol, look at that Zynga net income chart, Take 2 better have a turn around plan.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Everybody shut up.
Sonic Crackers lives, now with slingshot.
Rescue the angry birds from Robotnik's machines.
I'm so bored.

Reactions: Zzero