Sega Says It's 'Evaluating' Virtua Fighter Following Lack of Game Awards Announcement

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Speaking to The Washington Post, Sega Co-Chief Operating Officer and Sega of America CEO Shuji Utsumi noted that the company pledges to revive more of its legacy properties. One franchise in particular that fans wish would return is Virtua Fighter.

"We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn't use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it's very realistic," Utsumi said. "How can we make it more dramatic? It's something we're working on."

Sega came out swinging at the 2023 Game Awards last week, where the studio announced it was developing not one but five games from its legacy properties, including Jet Set Radio. Ahead of the reveal, Sega was teasing a "new era" by sending out letters to several creators and influencers, many of whom were huge in the fighting game community, leading to speculation that a new Virtua Fighter game would be announced.
This is not the first time in recent years Sega has acknowledged the Virtua Fighter franchise. During a 2021 financial presentation, the company revealed that it was looking at a list of IPs to revive, with Virtua Fighter among the list.

The last main entry in the series, Virtua Fighter 5, was released in 2006, originally in Arcades and the PlayStation 3. However, that installment would see ports to other platforms, and a remaster titled Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown was released in 2021.

Virtua Fighter debuted in 1993 as an arcade game before getting ported to consoles and Windows, and it's credited as the first true 3D fighting game. Not to mention, the franchise was key in creating the Sega franchise Shenmue. As Yu Suzuki explained in a classic games post-mortem during GDC 2014, Shenmue was originally going to be an RPG set in the Virtua Fighter universe.

In our review of Virtua Fighter 5, we said, "Virtua Fighter 5 kicks a whole lot of MMA ass. It offers one of the most intuitive and robust fighting systems ever assembled, and the customization options and quest mode are great fun," despite the subpar AI and lack of online support at the time.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Suicidally stupid company.

Then again, VF has never exactly topped the charts, only the Greatest Hits version of 4 really sold well.

2 and 3 made a ton of money actually. I think 4 and 5 were successful As well. The genre made most of its money from coin op machines.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
But seriously though I hope they’re not considering adding a meter system and anime looking combo bullcrap of some sort to make it more “complex.” I like the series enough its complex as is.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ill be day 1 for the next mainline VF.
Theres a lack of deep 3D fighters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
why are they comparing VF to street fighter? Compare it to tekken instead.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
As of the latest entry they were very close to having a great game. The character distribution model was a little jacked but the game itself looked and played amazing. It just had an unfortunate release right before next gen consoles and I figured we’d see a sequel soon. I hope it happens.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
why are they comparing VF to street fighter? Compare it to tekken instead.

basically vf was the basis for 3d fighters in the same way street fighter 2 is the basis for 2d fighters. But I do agree it's more comparable to tekken or doa than street fighter.