Sega says Sonic Superstars had a ‘weaker start than anticipated’

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
sonic-superstars-art-1024x576.jpg

Sega has stated that Sonic Superstars didn’t sell as well as it had hoped during its release period. But it’s hopeful it will eventually “sell on the same level as Sonic Frontiers”

During a financial results briefing presentation held this month, Sega Sammy Holdings president and group CEO Haruki Satomi said the game had a weaker start than Sega had planned, but hoped that things would eventually pick up.

“Sonic Superstars was released in October, which is a slightly weaker start than we had anticipated,” Satomi said. “But in reality, when Sonic IP sells the most is mainly November to December, and more than 90% of this title’s marketing cost will be spent in the Thanksgiving and holiday season from November onwards.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’m not the biggest Sonic fan, but I was confused with Superstars and the previous collection. They’re both utilizing the Mania aesthetic and to the untrained eye all look like the same game if you’re just going off promotional material.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
2D sonic is so stale, Frontiers was a breath of fresh air

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I’m not the biggest Sonic fan, but I was confused with Superstars and the previous collection. They’re both utilizing the Mania aesthetic and to the untrained eye all look like the same game if you’re just going off promotional material.

Superstars looks nothing like Mania?

edit: Nevermind, I see what you mean with the bold.

Reactions: BroodCorp

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Good! Sega deserves everything bad that's coming to them.