Senior Producer at Media Molecule has moved to Firesprite as their new Development Director

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lol all of the top MM people are leaving. I'm sure the writing is on the wall for them. Dreams could've been great but instead it seems it broke apart their studio. I'm interested if Firesprite's game will have user created content.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lol all of the top MM people are leaving. I'm sure the writing is on the wall for them. Dreams could've been great but instead it seems it broke apart their studio. I'm interested if Firesprite's game will have user created content.
MM's saving grace is that its a small team with awards savvy and the ability to deliver games with a big impact when they feel like making them. With Dreams dead we'll see what they do next.

Still, though, the "between projects" or "only on paper" time really is the most dangerous one for any studio, it wouldn't be too surpriif they were shuttered.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
MM's saving grace is that its a small team with awards savvy and the ability to deliver games with a big impact when they feel like making them. With Dreams dead we'll see what they do next.

Still, though, the "between projects" or "only on paper" time really is the most dangerous one for any studio, it wouldn't be too surpriif they were shuttered.
Tearway didn't do much for them financially nor Dreams. Their saving grace is that Sony has them as a developer that thinks out the box and does games that are unique or rarely found, however that good will can only last for so long. LBP with its dlc actually made them good amount of money.

24 Jun 2022

Genuinely don't think Sony can afford to shutter studios (as in, close the studio and let go of the talent) when Microsoft are actively trying to bloat up their studio count with the ABK purchase, and that's on top of the big studio increase they saw with Zenimax.

Plus MM have a unique touch and flavor to their games; if they can't stay on their own it would be best to merge them or transfer the talent to Pixelopus. That way you may "shutter" MM but you're shuttering a ghost studio without letting go of any of the talent, the talent was just transferred to another studio (castle).

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Genuinely don't think Sony can afford to shutter studios (as in, close the studio and let go of the talent) when Microsoft are actively trying to bloat up their studio count with the ABK purchase, and that's on top of the big studio increase they saw with Zenimax.

Plus MM have a unique touch and flavor to their games; if they can't stay on their own it would be best to merge them or transfer the talent to Pixelopus. That way you may "shutter" MM but you're shuttering a ghost studio without letting go of any of the talent, the talent was just transferred to another studio (castle).
Their studio heads are Lionhead vets who left because they hated MS corporate, just like Bungie. There's zero fear of them going back. And to be quite frank, I donthink MS wants or neeeds them between Rare, Doublefine and other unique/creative smaller teams they have.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

If they just advertised Dreams as the PlayStation version of Roblox they would have made billions

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If they just advertised Dreams as the PlayStation version of Roblox they would have made billions
Yep, they could've done so much with it. But their resistance to adding multiplayer killed the game. No one plays user generated content games like minecraft or roblox to not have multiplayer.

Reactions: Box and Zzero