Shigeru Miyamoto has reiterated he still has no plans to retire from Nintendo: "More so, I’m thinking about the day I fall over."

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
mario-interview-230424-eye.jpg

Nintendo’s creative leader, Shigeru Miyamoto, has reiterated he has no plans to retire from the company.

At 71-years-old, Miyamoto is now in retirement age. However, he has previously insisted he’s not considering ending his career in the near future.

Speaking to The Guardian in a new interview, the Nintendo director again discussed his plans for the future, stating, “more so than retiring, I’m thinking about the day I fall over”.

He added: “In this day and age you have to think about things in a five-year timespan, so I do think about who I can pass things on to, in case something does happen.

“I’m really thankful that there is so much energy around things that I have worked on. These are things that have already gone out into the world … they’ve been cultivated by others, other people have been raising them, helping them grow, so in that sense I don’t feel too much ownership over them any more.”

Source

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
He retired from game development in the N64 days. All he does now other than being a PR star is overview stuff as a top executive role, like the Mario movie or the theme parks, plus maybe their 1st party games and hardware while other people does the hard creative and developmentt job.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Why would u insult him like that?
Because of the multiple times I’ve read interviews with other devs who talked about him messing with their games and basically forcing every Nintendo release to be lobotomized pablum.
Why do you give a shit?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He retired from game development in the N64 days. All he does now other than being a PR star is overview stuff as a top executive role, like the Mario movie or the theme parks, plus maybe their 1st party games and hardware while other people does the hard creative and developmentt job.
He still did it job as game designer in Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit and Steel Driver.
Or at the least the original concept of games like Super Mario Maker and Super Nintendo World.

Even in his position he give hints and have to approval basically all Nintendo first-party games.... in essential every new ideia needs to have his approval.
It is a big responsibility role in Nintendo.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
He still did it job as game designer in Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit and Steel Driver.

Or at the least the original concept of games like Super Mario Maker and Super Nintendo World.

Even in his position he give hints and have to approval basically all Nintendo first-party games.... in essential every new ideia needs to have his approval.
It is a big responsibility role in Nintendo.

He wasn't a game designer in these games, he was one of their producers:
https://www.mobygames.com/person/36620/shigeru-miyamoto/credits/

The producers don't design games, they oversee / manage teams to deliver the game in time and budget. In his case, being nowadays in an executive role there are other producers who do the day to day job doing stuff like hosting the daily/weekly/etc. meetings with the team, managing budgets etc. and he only overviews their job and provides some hint or feedback from time to time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_producer

But he's a PR star, often they attribute the games to him / attach him to games due to marketing reasons. Same happened with Trip Hawkins (I did work for him btw), who never designed a game (he was a CEO) even if many times people attributed them to him. As it was the case of the first Madden game where the legend says that he and Madden and designed during a train trip. The reality was that they agreed the deal for the game there and shared ideas, but there was a proper game designer (Robin Antonick) who later designed the game.

I'd bet Miyamoto doesn't even play most of their own new games during or after development. And most of the ones he plays may be only during a short period of time to test them and provide feedback or hints.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He wasn't a game designer in these games, he was one of their producers:
https://www.mobygames.com/person/36620/shigeru-miyamoto/credits/

The producers don't design games, they oversee / manage teams to deliver the game in time and budget. In his case, being nowadays in an executive role there are other producers who do the day to day job doing stuff like hosting the daily/weekly/etc. meetings with the team, managing budgets etc. and he only overviews their job and provides some hint or feedback from time to time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_producer

But he's a PR star, often they attribute the games to him / attach him to games due to marketing reasons. Same happened with Trip Hawkins (I did work for him btw), who never designed a game (he was a CEO) even if many times people attributed them to him. As it was the case of the first Madden game where the legend says that he and Madden and designed during a train trip. The reality was that they agreed the deal for the game there and shared ideas, but there was a proper game designer (Robin Antonick) who later designed the game.

I'd bet Miyamoto doesn't even play most of their own new games during or after development. And most of the ones he plays may be only during a short period of time to test them and provide feedback or hints.
I'm pretty sure he did the design concept of these games I listed.

Edit - I just checked again.

Super Mario Galaxy he did the Game Design Concept.
The concept ideia for a Super Mario Galaxy comes from him.
He is listed as producer in all games but that doesn't mean he does't do others things.
He put his hands in Nintendo's games more than usual producers... the key decisions in design are made by him all all demos/games needs to be show to him to be approved.
Yeap he plays the games (a lot)... he took hours in the Breath of the wild demo before says it could work... he played the demo of The Tears of the Kingdom before give the pass to continue even when he was issues in his agenda due the production of Mario Movie.

BTW all Nintendo's first-party new ideias for new or old franchises needs to pass on his approval.

He is more involved with games at Nintendo than people gives credits to.
He didn't stop at N64 gen... he is today one of the key mastermind behind most successful Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm pretty sure he did the design concept of these games I listed.

Edit - I just checked again.

Super Mario Galaxy he did the Game Design Concept.
The concept ideia for a Super Mario Galaxy comes from him.
He is listed as producer in all games but that doesn't mean he does't do others things.
He put his hands in Nintendo's games more than usual producers... the key decisions in design are made by him all all demos/games needs to be show to him to be approved.
Yeap he plays the games (a lot)... he took hours in the Breath of the wild demo before says it could work... he played the demo of The Tears of the Kingdom before give the pass to continue even when he was issues in his agenda due the production of Mario Movie.

BTW all Nintendo's first-party new ideias for new or old franchises needs to pass on his approval.

He is more involved with games at Nintendo than people gives credits to.
He didn't stop at N64 gen... he is today one of the key mastermind behind most successful Nintendo games.

If we look at the game credits instead of to the PR, not counting remasters/remakes, the last time he was credited as game designer was in the NES, so would be rare to see him as designer in the Wii.

The last game directed by Miyamoto was Super Mario 64 (+ its DS port): https://www.mobygames.com/person/36620/shigeru-miyamoto/credits/

Since the N64 he is only credited as Supervisor, General Producer, Producer, Senior Producer or Executive Producer with the only exception being that "Game design concept" mention in Mario Galaxy. Which could be just a reference as him being the creator of the series / its design concept, similar to when he was credited as "Original Game Design" in many remasters/ports/remakes/sequels of games he did in NES. Or maybe meaning he came with the main concept / idea for the game (which is 0.000000000001% of the creation/design/development of the game).

In any case, the one credited for the game direction and game design of Super Mario Galaxy is Yoshiaki Koizumi, with Koichi Hayashida as Level Design Director sidekick.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If we look at the game credits instead of to the PR, not counting remasters/remakes, the last time he was credited as game designer was in the NES, so would be rare to see him as designer in the Wii.

The last game directed by Miyamoto was Super Mario 64 (+ its DS port): https://www.mobygames.com/person/36620/shigeru-miyamoto/credits/

Since the N64 he is only credited as Supervisor, General Producer, Producer, Senior Producer or Executive Producer with the only exception being that "Game design concept" mention in Mario Galaxy. Which could be just a reference as him being the creator of the series / its design concept, similar to when he was credited as "Original Game Design" in many remasters/ports/remakes/sequels of games he did in NES. Or maybe meaning he came with the main concept / idea for the game (which is 0.000000000001% of the creation/design/development of the game).

In any case, the one credited for the game direction and game design of Super Mario Galaxy is Yoshiaki Koizumi, with Koichi Hayashida as Level Design Director sidekick.
I just showed the credits with him as concept game design and you just ignored lol

The ideia of Super Mario Galaxy… the concept of that game came from him. The same the others games I listed.

The concept ideia of a game is basically everything… without it there is no game.

He doesn’t build the house (he never did that) but he is the guy that draw the house to others build.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just showed the credits with him as concept game design and you just ignored lol

The ideia of Super Mario Galaxy… the concept of that game came from him.
No, I quoted and commented it.

The same the others games I listed.
No. As I shown in the moby games link that is the only game where he's credited with such rare mention. As I said it's an exception.

The concept ideia of a game is basically everything… without it there is no game.

He doesn’t build the house (he never did that) but he is the guy that draw the house to others build.
What I meant is that to say you want to make a white house with four rooms doesn't make you the arquitect and builder of that house. The main idea for a game would be similar to say that you wnat a white house with 4 rooms.

The game designers would be the architect team who have to study and plan, and document a lot of things, considering practical stuff like spatial planning, regulations about a gazilion things, aesthetic appeal, structural integrity, materials, budget, sustainability, orientation to consider how the light affects each room, energy efficiency, site constrains and a lot things more in big detail that later the devs would "build".

I mean, without saying the idea of wanting the house white and with 4 rooms there isn't house or anybody else can have such idea. But almost all the work and decisions made to build the house, the result and quality of the implementation of a house depend on the architect, builders and interior designers. Not the one who said he wanted white house with 4 rooms and overviewed the result once built.

Last edited: