Show the Actual Game! - Sakurai talks about trailers.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If you are unawares, Masahiro Sakurai got his own YT channel where he talks about various aspects of game design. They are short, snappy & expertly subtitled in English.
In today's video he discusses trailers and his opinion should resonate with everyone.

Reactions: Arc

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Sakurai is a huge gamer and it shows, my man wants to see the damn games.
He's also very right that new IPs/Indies should show the game as fast as possible, possibly in the first unveiling of the game if it is a possibility.

It's video GAMES, show us the GAMEplay.

Edit: I also found it funny to see multiple Steam indie games being showcased here and him talking about how sometimes there's no gameplay in trailer video(s) accompanying the pictures, considering this is a Japanese thing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Arc and Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sakurai is a huge gamer and it shows, my man wants to see the damn games.
He's also very right that new IPs/Indies should show the game as fast as possible, possibly in the first unveiling of the game if it is a possibility.

It's video GAMES, show us the GAMEplay.

Edit: I also found it funny to see multiple Steam indie games being showcased here and him talking about how sometimes there's no gameplay in trailer video(s) accompanying the pictures, considering this is a Japanese thing.
LOL yeah it's true.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Need to watch this, but I’ve been beating this drum forever.

I feel like things have gotten better, but from somewhere in the Xbox 360 generation until now, it became some kind of weird announce standard to show a CG trailer, melancholy music, and a title and year. Zero trace of gameplay. Sometimes right up near launch.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Need to watch this, but I’ve been beating this drum forever.

I feel like things have gotten better, but from somewhere in the Xbox 360 generation until now, it became some kind of weird announce standard to show a CG trailer, melancholy music, and a title and year. Zero trace of gameplay. Sometimes right up near launch.
Tht was Microsoft's bread and butter since Halo. Sony did it but not so much. Remember Sony was doing live demos of gameplay like Uncharted 2 while Microsoft was doing cgi and bullshots for everything or live action trailers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc